Life > Experiences

How to Avoid Burnout When the Days Get Shorter, and the Temperature Gets Colder: A Guideline

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

By Claire Gomez

Winter is here and it is that time of the year again: The leaves have dried up, the air has gotten significantly crisper, the sun sets at 4pm, and all you want to do is lay in bed doing nothing. It’s not wrong to feel that way. In fact, it is completely normal for all motivation to disappear with the sun. If you are feeling down and unproductive, here is a guideline which, I hope, will help you with your mood.

1. Take Baby Steps

During the winter months, getting tasks done may seem more daunting than usual. Especially at the end of the year, when assignments start to roll in, stuck facing deadline upon deadline. When this happens, try and go easy on yourself. Remind yourself, that it is perfectly fine to feel anxious and unmotivated during this time of year, and take it one step at a time. Set goals that are attainable and realistic. And most of all, do not forget to reward yourself with a movie or something else you enjoy once you have completed your tasks.

2. Keep Your Body Moving

As hard as it may seem, keeping your body moving can do wonders for your health and mood whether it be a simple walk outside, or inside on the treadmill. Lazing around in bed will not only stop you from getting any work done, but it will also make you feel much more tired throughout the day.

3. Find New Places To Study At

As a third year undergraduate, I find that I rarely get anything done when studying in my room. My bed is just a few steps away, and it’s always so tempting to take a break, get in bed and lay down. If you find yourself facing the same issue, find a small café to do work at or my personal favourite study at the library. It’s quiet, gets you focused, and has the perfect amount of background noise to make it easier to get work done.

4. Take A Break When You Need To

Last but certainly not least, whether you are facing a burn out from the work you have done, or if you are just not feeling up-to-par, remind yourself that it is okay to take breaks. Working when you are feeling down will not only further tire you out, but it also means that your work won’t be as good as you would like it to be. Take a break, and come back when you are feeling better this will ensure that your work is the best it can possibly be!

I hope these tips will help you as much as they have helped me.

Don’t forget to always take care of your health especially during the wintertime and stay safe.

Edited by Beritan Yagis

I’m a final year law student at the University of Leeds who loves writing and crochet!