This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Now then, it’s getting to that time of year when the dark winter nights are closing in on us and no amount of predrinking or Jagerbombs will get rid of the essays, assignments, presentations and exam stress that starts to build up at the end of the year. Therefore, while your student budget is (hopefully) still intact, start booking your end of semester treat to remedy all that gruelling University work!

And why not visit Paris? This is my guide for everything you need to know about the French capital.

Personally I think the best time to spend a weekend in Paris is during the Christmas holidays. Although it may be one of the busiest times of the year, the magical winter atmosphere will get you feeling festive and if that’s not enough, check out the gigantic Christmas tree in Galeries LaFayette, which is simply unmissable!

Getting around

Paris is home to its very own underground, ‘Le Metro’, which is undoubtedly one of the most reliable, quick and economical ways to get around. Tickets generally cost less when bought in bulk so if you’re going to be exploring, a ‘carnet‘ pack of 10 tickets is a good idea. Be sure to ask for your own tourist map with all the monuments listed, as well as a map of the city distributed free from the Metro information desks.

Safety

Paris is structured into arrondissements, which are basically different zones of the city. The arrondissements start from 1, in the centre, and spiral up to the 20th arrondissement. The further out from Paris the more dangerous the zone could be as the urban edges of the city ‘le banlieu’ are known for having more gang activity and violence.

But don’t let that worry you too much, as on a safety note, Paris is a generally a secure place for tourists and Parisians. However, some zones of Paris aren’t as friendly as others so try to avoid the following zones at night time or if you are by yourself:
Les Halles – 1st arrondissement, Gare du Nord – 10th arrondissement, Gare du l’Est – 10th arrondissement,  Belleville – 20th arrondissement.

Language

Although English is widely spoken in the capital, the French are known for being fiercely protective over their language. Therefore, why not make the effort and learn a few French phrases to get you by whilst you’re there.

If you want a more in-depth guide, there are lots of very good free phone apps such as Speak Easy French, to get you started. But if all else fails, smile, gesticulate and you might get your point across eventually…!

Bonjour (bon-jure):  Good morning/Hello

Bonsoir(bon-sw-are): Good evening

Merci beaucoup (mer-cy-boo-coo): Thankyou very much

Un ticket s’il vous plait (on tic-kay see-voo play): One ticket please

Je voudrais (Jay voo-dray): I would like

Parlez-vous anglais (Par-ley voo en-glay)?: Do you speak English ?

Shopping!

Paris is the throne of the fashion world and it’s not surprising considering it’s home to some of the most elegant and sophisticated fashion designers in the world. Do Yves Saint-Laurent, Christian Louboutin and Coco Chanel sound familiar?

Galeries Lafayette is a multi-storey fashionista’s department store paradise. Make sure to get past the queues of snap-happy tourists if you intend to bag your own token designer masterpiece from one of the many boutiques, like Dolce and Gabbana, Armani, and Louis Vuitton. Even if a designer is out of your price range Lafayette has some great finds and sells some reasonably priced souvenir merchandise to distribute among friends and family, whilst boasting a sprinkling of arrogance from your new found Parisian chic.

Sightseeing

One of the most symbolic aspects of Paris and France is the architectural feat that is the Eiffel Tower. Getting up to the top will leave you feeling glad you did so, as you look out on a breathtaking view of the whole city. Queues to get to the top do tend to be long no matter what the season or the weather, but what do you expect from the most visited monument in the world?

If you’re feeling fit you can choose to scale the Eiffel tower using the staircases. The chances are theses queues will be shorter than the ones requiring the lift access and the tickets cost less too so all the more reason to put away the expensive heels (sob) and slip on some comfy ballerinas.

The prices for visiting the Eiffel Tower range from a nifty €3.00 to €8.50 for adults, as well as those in the 12-24 years old category having a discounted price of €7.00

Be sure to pass by at night to see the shimmering Eiffel Tower light up the evening sky, one of the main reasons why Paris holds the nickname ‘City of Light’.

Whilst not forgetting the historical and artistic element that Paris is renowned for, the Louvre Museum is also a must visit. The iconic pyramid glass structure is a striking characteristic of the art buff’s paradise and is home to a huge collection of paintings and sculptures ranging from the Mona Lisa to Michelangelo’s masterpieces. What’s more, tickets to get in are free for 18-25s from Europe, Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein.

Nightlife

In terms of nightlife, there are a great selection of bars dotted around. Especially in the Le Marais area in the 4th arrondissement, and the Latin Quarter located in the 5th and 6th arrondissements of Paris; which are known for being famous with students.

For something completely out of the ordinary the Batofar is undoubtedly one of the most unique clubbing experiences you will ever have. This club is located on a huge boat plonked at the side of the River Seine. There are gigs from some of France’s best djs with a range of underground, house and electro beats. The cocktails aren’t too bad either!

I hope I’ve inspired you to book your next trip to Paris, bon voyage!