Barcelona: A Student’s Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

The cold, miserable winter weather is finally beginning to pass into spring and as the slightest inkling of sunshine begins to arrive everyone has itchy feet to go in search of some real sunshine abroad. But the big question is where to go? You’ve narrowed it down to Europe, as it’s one of the only affordable destinations you can think of, you know you want sunshine and beaches but you also need a little something else to do in the daytime to keep you occupied and you’re on a pretty tight budget. While Barcelona may not be the first destination to spring to mind it does tick all of these boxes, providing stunning beaches and plenty of must see attractions to keep you entertained, so check out Her Campus’ guide on what to do in Barcelona!  

Beaches and Promenade

Sunbathing, sea, sand… what else is there to explain about beaches exactly? In Barcelona, so much more! If a day soaking up the sunshine is what you’re after there are beach bars, or Chiringuitos, dotted along the beach selling cocktails and playing music to keep you entertained throughout the day. If you’re after something slightly more active take a catamaran trip or a cable car for a bird’s eye view of the city, both of which cost about €14/15, so it won’t break the holiday bank.

To round off your beach day why not keep with the sea theme and head to one of the many seafood restaurants along the waterfront followed by a few drinks in the assorted bars, which have prices to suit everyone.  

Architecture

No, I’m not asking you to walk around boring old buildings on your holiday like your parents used to make you do, but rather to sample some of the incredible architecture that Barcelona is famous for. The city is a mix of both Gothic and Gaudi’s Modernista architecture including amazing pieces such as Casa Batlló. Okay, so maybe I am asking you to walk around old buildings, but I can assure you they are far from boring and well worth the walk, and I challenge you not to be mesmerised by some of Gaudi’s work.

Las Ramblas (Boulevard) and La Boqueria (Market)

Las Ramblas is a famous pedestrian boulevard in Barcelona that tourists love, due to it being lined with quaint open air cafes, kiosks, pavement artists and bars keeping the area lively throughout the night. Off the boulevard are some galleries or La Boqueria market, which is a produce market where you can stock up on items for the days picnic, with everything from cheeses and meats to sweets. The area is also full of places to eat, but whether your preference is a picnic or restaurant both will provide you with local Barcelonian produce.

Shopping

Shopping doesn’t have to blow the student budget in Barcelona if you know where to go! The area of El Born provides indie clothes boutiques if you’re after something a little different to the UK high street, and these shops are set alongside bars and patisseries for the perfect halfway shopping snack. If you prefer a bit of window shopping L’Eixample is where to go as these shops will blow most student budgets.

Football Stadium Camp Nou

Even if the only contact you have with football is telling your other half that it’s only a game, and believe me even this is usually too much football contact for my liking, don’t dismiss watching a football match here without having a look first. Home to FC Barcelona the stadium is the largest in Europe, with its own museum which offers multimedia exhibits and a stadium tour at €23 for entry. The stadiums large football shop is also worth a look for any football crazy relatives who may require a souvenir.     

While Barcelona clearly ticks the sun, sea and sand box of most holiday makers tick lists it also provides an array of other activities to fill your week. So when mum asks to look at your holiday snaps she’ll be pleasantly surprised to see that they don’t simply consist of you and your friends striking different poses on the beach. Although, there may still be a few of those too, otherwise what would have been the point of working on your bikini body all spring?

Image sources:

1. http://www.isango.com/barcelona-city-breaks-weekend-short-breaks

2. http://imgur.com/3gLSm

3. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Casa_Batll%C3%B3_detail_sept2007.jpg