This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

Getting the Gig

Internships are a lot like a GPS: you need it in order to know where you want to go, and then you’ll know if you even like where you’ve gone. It’s either you know what you want or you’ll figure what it is that you absolutely hate. But how to land your dream internship, that could be a bit tough.

Here are a few ideas on how to land the job

The Technicalities: 

1. Do Your Research:

Always, always, always, do your research! Google the person interviewing you, the industry, the company, random facts about the company, anything that will show that you have invested time and did your homework!

1. Prepare Yourself:

Set your alarm clock and make sure it is on LOUD, don’t forget that it may be on SILENT.

Pick out your outfit the night before! Have it ironed and ready to go, from the hair, to the accessories, to the shoes, to the purse. This will cut down your worry time. Have your bag ready as well, you don’t want to spend an extra few minutes running around the house looking for your keys or your wallet.

1. Print EXTRA copies of your resume!

Look the Part:

HAIR: Nothing exaggerated, try a slick back pony, if your hair is long enough. Or leave it out. Try not to have your hair in your face so that you’re not pushing it off during your interview. Something inviting, something cute, something professional, something that says “Thank you, but I landed this job the minute I walked in.”

FACE: No bold lipstick! Save that for when you actually get the gig. Keep it to a natural color, baby pinks work, but not Nicki Minaj pink. No cat eyes, glitter, color eyeliner, extra –extra lashes. Basically, you want a clean simple natural face. Some peach, pink blush, natural lips, and natural looking eye makeup works in your favor!

NAILS: Woo! Make sure there isn’t ANY chipped nail polish!! Try not to have super long nails either. I think any color works on short, clean manicured nails – depending on the company you’re applying too. If you’re going to do colors, try to stick to solids only.

THE OUTFIT:

This is such an essential part of the entire interview. You may absolutely, positively wear color! Be bold and sure of yourself just make sure the pieces you choose are appropriate to your future employers. Absolutely nothing showing off cleavage, no short skirts, and wear the appropriate heels or flats – no sandals.

A lot of menswear styles are emerging once again, and who doesn’t love menswear. Spice it up a little up but not too much so that it doesn’t distract.

During the interview:

Be confident- do not second guess yourself.

Fake it till you make it – When it comes to knowing how to do something, say you know – then bust your butt after and make sure you know. However, DO NOT OVER COMMIT.

Stay positive – if you think positive, everything will be fine. Trust that you are the best for this position and tell them all that you have to offer.

TAKE IT FROM ME:

It was a miracle when I landed my internship at ELLE Magazine last winter, a miracle that I geared myself. I originally applied to Seventeen Magazine and emailed absolutely EVERYONE in Seventeen until some people responded. I was let down and told that all spots were full.

Maybe a month later, I receive an email asking me if I wanted to intern for ELLE. Uhmmm, hell yeah! I’m not the high fashion kind of girl. I shop at Forever21 and Plato’s Closet but I expressed and made sure that he knew that my dedication and work ethic could make anything possible.

Viola!

Contact everyone and anyone to get to where you need to go. Internqueen.com is also an amazing website to visit to find internships. Check it out!

Camlyn will be a senior at Le Moyne college in the Fall of 2012. She's majoring in Communications with a concentration in Print Journalism and is a Creative Writing minor. As an NYC native, Camlyn indulges in anything that involes fashion and daily lifestyles. She aspires to be something like the modern day Carrie Bradshaw, as a magazine journalist for one of her favorite magazines. She has interned with Mercedes Sanchez, founder of her own fashion and beauty blog, BeChicMag.com and ELLE Magazinge. Along with being a HC Correspondent, Camlyn is the PR representative to the Latino based club on campus, El Progreso.More than anything, Camlyn is just super excited to be a part of the HC team! <33