This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

As these last few weeks of the semester dwindle down into a few days, to a few hours, to a few minutes, something has crossed my mind. I have been thinking about returning to campus in the fall and how I have a friend who is moving out of her parents’ place soon, and things seem to be looking up for the future. There is a part of me that does not want me to leave my hometown. It’s familiar here. I know family and friends; the unknown future is very prominent and scary. 

I am in this confused state where I know that I graduated high school and I am much older than I was, but nothing feels like it has changed for me except that I am studying a different level of academics. I could move on or I could stay in my comfort zone. On the other hand, I would be denying myself an experience; an experience that would plant seeds of potential growth. I found myself stuck for a while until I had a conversation with two close friends of mine, I know what I must do and if you’re in my position, I suggest listening to what I have to say. 

It is not the feeling of missing out anymore, it’s the feeling of wanting something different. I have slept with in the same four walls for twenty-one years of my life. Sure, I have had things painted over, new furniture brought in, new decorations, but nothing ever feels truly different if I do not leave. 

I have had many friends leave for university in different towns or provinces and they have come back as different people. Different in the sense that they have matured a lot and they have been given different perspectives that they would have never had if they stayed in our hometown. I have a close friend from college who got to live in residence for two years and now she is moving farther away to be much closer to the Wilfrid Laurier campus. I am nothing but proud of her for her growth from the first moment I met her during orientation in 2018 to the last time I talked to her about her moving plans. 

That feeling of being free is something that I desire greatly and I assume you share the same feelings. Do not fear the unknown and do not let anyone else try to scare you so you do not leave your comfort zone. I know many people are not financially stable enough during this time to ever think about moving out of their parent’s homes or even moving a town over, but it’s something I would highly recommend to anyone if given the opportunity. I have yet to accomplish or have an opportunity to leave come at me, but I know once it comes by, I will snatch it up and never let go. 

Sabrina Schoneveld

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Hi, I'm Sabrina! I'm currently a transfer student in a non-major program looking forward to transferring into the History BA program at Wilfrid Laurier University! When I'm not studying I enjoy watching movies, writing, reading, baking, or drawing.
.