My Transition to Laurier Brantford

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

This semester I transferred to Wilfrid Laurier, specifically the Laurier Brantford campus. My new campus is significantly smaller, with over 10,000 less students, 3 hours away from my other friends that had become like family. It was a big transition, but it was the best decision I have ever made. 

Being a Brantford local, I always despised the idea of staying home for university. I needed to spread my wings and find out what life outside my cozy little bubble was like. Attending Laurier Brantford after high school was not an option in my mind, I wanted more. However, I couldn’t have been more wrong. Living away from home gave me a sense of independence in all the wrong ways. I was constantly worried about money, I never had time to make myself a proper meal, and school was slipping through my fingers because of the stress. 

After moving back home, I decided I needed to continue my education which had to be done at Laurier Brantford. While the campus isn’t as large, it has a sense of home. You don’t get lost in the crowd (which sucks for those of us who took “Wine Wednesday” a little too seriously despite having a Thursday morning class). Your professors know who you are and they care about your education, which is a lot more difficult in a larger sea of numbers. 

The community I’ve found here has been the best part. Everyone you meet is super involved with the school, and very welcoming. I’ve made so many new friends that I honestly don’t even know everyone’s name. I didn’t think I would experience the same level of extracurricular activities that I had at my previous campus, but I’m doing even more here at Laurier Brantford. The sense of community is overwhelming, and by attending a smaller campus I am definitely not missing out on any social aspects of a larger campus. 

I’m so glad Laurier Brantford has proven me wrong. I’ve found a place where I belong, and I’m sad I’ll only have two years here. I wouldn’t change my experience at my previous school as I had learned so much about myself, but I wish I had made the decision to transfer a lot sooner. It truly is great to be a Laurier Golden Hawk. 

Bryanna Millben

Laurier Brantford '20

Hi! I'm a fourth-year at Wilfrid Laurier University working towards a BA in English with a minor in History, and the Campus Correspondent/President for HC Laurier Brantford. I have a super sweet golden retriever named Marley, and aspire to work in Public Relations.