This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

This week I want to share 5 recent albums that I am currently loving. They each have a spring-like feel, which already has me dreading the snow that’s yet to come. If you’re looking for some new tunes, keep reading!

Sasha Sloan – Only Child

While Only Child marks Sasha Sloan’s debut album, she has a strong history of EPs and songwriting behind her. Have you heard Camilla Cabello’s “Never Be The Same,” Katy Perry’s “Cry About it Later,” or LANY’s “Thick and Thin”? Well, these are just some of the songs that Sloan has helped write in the last few years. On Only Child, she continues the vulnerable and confessional lyricism of 2019’s Self Portrait in songs like “Until It Happens To You,” with driving music that makes you feel her words even more physically. Her voice is soft yet powerful and seems to make even the saddest of words sound sweet. Tracks like “Lie” and “House With No Mirrors” offer some more upbeat highlights without dropping the deeply emotional lyrics.

Sam Smith – Love Goes

Sam Smith’s third album comes long awaited, with its release coming after the release of 6 singles from 2019 until now. Maintaining his impressive vocal ability, this albums feels a bit more poppy and dance-y, especially on tracks like the first single, “Dancing With A Stranger,” “Another One” and “Dance (‘Till You Love Someone Else)”. Of course, you can find signature Smith ballads in the mix as well. Standouts for me are “Young,” a powerfully emotive acapella intro, “To Die For” and the title track “Love Goes,” featuring another great vocalist, Labrinth. Continuing the legacy of his first two albums, Love Goes may actually be my favourite yet!

Valley – sucks to see you doing better

Yay for Canadian artists! Toronto-based 4-piece band Valley has been busy making music during quarantine. After going on tour with Lennon Stella and The Band Camino and releasing their second album MAYBE in 2019, the band won ‘Breakthrough Group of The Year’ at this year’s Juno awards. With a unique blend of Indie sounds, Valley boasts fun dance-y bops and heartfelt ballad anthems. Their latest release, an EP called sucks to see you doing better, puts you in your feels with its lyrics but helps you get over it with easy-to-groove-to melodies and instrumentation. Not to mention Karah’s more prominent vocals on every song! My favourites? Currently, I’d say “homebody,” “nevermind,” and “BE THE ONE.” Seeming to be continuously growing as a band and as artists, this EP does not disappoint. If you like artists like The 1975, LANY, Lauv and COIN, check out Valley!

Bea Miller – elated!

You may remember Bea Miller from her time on The X Factor, or her song “Feel Something” that recently became a huge hit on TikTok with the euphoria challenge. But she has been busy ever since her X Factor days with an impressive collection of songs showcasing her vocal ability and stylistic range. Following her 2018 album aurora, Miller has released and appeared on multiple singles in the last two years like “I Wanna Know” and “it’s not you it’s me.” Starting her elated! album run with “wisdom teeth,” Miller teased an edgier and more unique sound. Reaching a new maturity with her vocal delivery, unique sound and lyrical approach, elated! seems to perfectly capture Miller’s poetic talent and fun, sassy personality. Even making a reference to the White House, “hallelujah” pulls you into the rest of the record.

mxmtoon – dawn & dusk

Combining her two 2020 releases, dawn & dusk forms the second album by the 20-year-old. With a folk and indie mix of sound, Maia’s music has an unbelievably polished magic to it. Adding a bit more powerful production than her debut the masquerade, this release continues to showcase her beautiful vocals and songwriting. The first song that I ever heard from her, “fever dream” opens the album on an amazing note – with powerful production that you can feel. This feeling continues across the two disks, with “no faker,” and “bon iver” carrying the same glittery folky-ness. Canadian songstress Carly Rae Jepsen even makes an appearance on “ok on your own,” and their vocals together are just *chef’s kiss*.

There you have it: the 5 albums I am obsessed with right now. I hope you found some joy reading about and listening to them!

Jonnica Hill

Laurier Brantford '21

Hey I'm Jonnica and I am passionate about writing, music, photography, fashion and so much more. I was a founding member of the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter, and over my three years with the team have been a writer, editor, marketing director and co-Campus Correspondent. Digital Media and Journalism, Class of 2021