Career

4 Tips for Job Hunting During COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

With the school year wrapping up, and some students’ entire undergraduate careers, many are likely jumping at the chance to get hired. Whether you are looking for a part-time gig to help you save money over the summer, or a job to get your future career moving, we could all use a little help. With the COVID-19 pandemic, the job hunt is getting more complicated. While the turn to more remote positions means more opportunities, many employers are also cutting back on staff or are receiving a larger influx of applications. Here are some tips that can help you when looking for work this summer.

Network, Network, Network!

Even in pre-pandemic times, networking is a great way to look for jobs and get to know more about the fields you are considering. While you shouldn’t necessarily message a complete stranger and ask them to hire you, networking can give you better insight into what kinds of jobs are possible for people with similar academic backgrounds and interests, as well as let you know if there is any additional training you may benefit from. LinkedIn is a major site for doing this; if you aren’t already signed up, I highly recommend it! Besides connecting to people you’ve met or want to talk to, LinkedIn also offers lots of training and quizzes that will add badges and skills to your online resume!

Tailor Your Resume

This may go without saying but tailoring your resume and cover letter to be more specific to the job you are applying for is always a must when I apply for jobs! This gives you a chance to highlight the most relevant experiences and skills for the position and makes it easier for the hiring manager to see how you’d fit the role! If you have worked 5 or more jobs before, only expand on the ones that you think are the most related. On the other hand, if you’ve only had a few jobs, try to write about the specific skills from those experiences that line up with the posting. As always, make sure your resume is engaging and easy to read. Head to Laurier’s Career Centre to find out more tips on resume writing.

Stay Organized

In the past, I often applied for a job and then moved on, applying to others and forgetting about the first one unless I heard back. A better idea is to keep organized files and notes of when you applied to the job and any other information you get along the way. Keeping track of what you have applied to helps you to see what you have accomplished and what kinds of jobs to keep an eye out for. Being organized also helps you be ready for a phone call or interview. As a bonus, by saving the tailored version of your resume, it may be easier to get it ready for a similar job down the line.

Keep An Open Mind

It is easy to feel discouraged if you apply to a few jobs and hear nothing back, but make sure you stay positive and keep applying! And most importantly, don’t take rejection personally. If you see a job that intrigues you, even if it might not be a 100 % perfect fit, apply! It doesn’t hurt to take 30 mins to submit your resume and cover letter, and the worst that could happen is they don’t call you or you turn an offer down. As we enter the working world, we have to be confident in ourselves and the skills we have learned. Like the Great One says, you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take!

There you have it! 4 tips that may just help you land your dream job this summer. Whether you are looking for a full-time “career” job or a part-time gig to save up, remember not to be hard on yourself if it takes a little more time than usual, this is a challenging time for everyone looking to hire or be hired. 

Jonnica Hill

Laurier Brantford '21

Hey I'm Jonnica and I am passionate about writing, music, photography, fashion and so much more. I was a founding member of the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter, and over my three years with the team have been a writer, editor, marketing director and co-Campus Correspondent. Digital Media and Journalism, Class of 2021