This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

If you didn’t know, this week at Her Campus Laurier Brantford, we are running Empowerment Week! When I was thinking about topics to write about, I almost immediately came up with the idea of making a playlist. If you read my articles about Songs to Help You De-Stress or 9 Reasons Why I Love Concerts, you will know that music is a huge passion of mine and has had the power to completely change how I am feeling. So, what better way to try and feel more empowered than by listening to music with messages of empowerment?

To me, being empowered means being confident in your true self, feeling like you can do anything that you put your mind to, and not letting anything (or anyone) get in your way. This is the feeling that I wanted to capture with the songs I added to my Feeling Empowered Playlist. I focused on including songs by female artists who always inspire me to be the best version of myself. Here are some of my favourites and why I picked them.

• Fortress by Lennon Stella – Lennon’s EP has been blasting from my speakers since the moment it came out, but this song has such a powerful message of strength, confidence and not letting anything stand in your way. That paired with the irresistible sound of her voice and music has me feeling super inspired.
  • Can’t Stop Now by Allie X – Allie X has such a creative and catchy force surrounding her. This song is so upbeat and catchy but it also has an important message about always trying your best, not letting anything stop you, and remembering to take a minute to breathe in between. She’s also Canadian and we’ve got to support a Canadian sister!
  • In The Dark by Camila Cabello – I think this may just be the most underrated Camila Cabello song. Not only does this song feature cool, moody and unique music but, Cabello’s message about showing your true self and not being afraid to do so is so inspiring.
  • Give A Little by Maggie Rogers – Maggie Rogers has been taking over the music scene with her folksy, dance-y indie pop songs! This song is super catchy and uplifting but features an important message about the importance of spreading love and encouragement to everyone around you.
  • State of Grace by Taylor Swift – Lastly, one of my favourite songs of all time. This song has such an incredible anthem-like feel, with the music itself making you feel inspired and empowered. But, the message that stands out to me is the inspiration to get to a ‘State of Grace’ of your own.

I hope you enjoy this playlist and that it helps you feel a little bit more empowered, confident, and happy in yourself and your life!

Jonnica Hill

Laurier Brantford '21

Hey I'm Jonnica and I am passionate about writing, music, photography, fashion and so much more. I was a founding member of the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter, and over my three years with the team have been a writer, editor, marketing director and co-Campus Correspondent. Digital Media and Journalism, Class of 2021
.