Songs to Help You De-Stress This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I have a playlist for almost everything. Music sets the tone like nothing else, so I make playlists for every mood, every event, and every season. Autumn happens to be my favourite, and there are many songs that I associate with the falling of the leaves and the cooling of the air.

One of the not-so-wonderful things that comes with the fall time is school. That means homework, essays, and exams. There tends to be lots of work to do, which can be stressful for students. In fact, this study found that students may face higher levels of academic stress after reading week. This suggests that we may not be effectively using the fall break to stay on top of our work and mental health.   

When I’m feeling overwhelmed with school, one thing that helps me relax and get into a positive mindset is listening to music. Listening to certain music helps slow your heart rate, breathing, and thinking. It can be an effective tool to relieve stress and anxiety, especially if used repeatedly. Although music with a slower tempo and lower pitch has been effective, what is most important is that you enjoy it. So, don’t think that you can only listen to nature sounds or classical music, listen to whatever you enjoy.

On that note, I have compiled a variety of songs into a fall vibes playlist that I like to listen to when I feel stressed. It may also help you feel relaxed while getting into the fall mood. There are 20 songs, and while I would love to explain what I like about each one, it would take up too much time. Here are a few of my favourites, why I like them, and how they help me destress:

Nashville by David Mead – I found this song through Taylor Swift’s cover, but the original is so soft and emotional. The music and vocals have a slow and calm melody which helps me take a moment to calm down.

Emoji of a Wave by John Mayer – Not only is the song itself soothing, but the lyrics, “It’s just a wave, it’s just a way that I know that when it comes I just hold on” remind me that bad days won’t last, and things will always get better.

Only Love by Ben Howard – This song is more upbeat. While it still features calm and soft music, the dance-y, happy vibe always helps cheer me up.

Slow Burn by Kacey Musgraves – Other than the fact that I am obsessed with Kacey, this song is a dream-like reminder to put things into perspective and to appreciate all the small-but-beautiful things in life.

I hope you enjoy the music in this playlist and I wish you all the best on your quest for less stress!

All photos in this article were taken by Tasha O’Neill.

Jonnica Hill

Laurier Brantford '21

Hey I'm Jonnica and I am passionate about writing, music, photography, fashion and so much more. I was a founding member of the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter, and over my three years with the team have been a writer, editor, marketing director and co-Campus Correspondent. Digital Media and Journalism, Class of 2021