Wellness > Mental Health

Why Journaling is the Best Coping Mechanism For Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

It’s no secret that everyone has bad days and experiences things that we sometimes don’t know how to handle properly, and that’s okay! It is important to acknowledge that there is an issue you are facing and figure out what works best for you in terms of coping. I’ve learned that for me, it is journaling. I am a firm believer that writing in a journal is something that can be beneficial to everyone, no matter the circumstance. 

For the longest time, I didn’t know what I could do when I was having a bad day. I tried everything from working out, to drawing, to writing songs, to talk therapy (which I encourage everyone to try at one point or another!). While some of these worked for a short amount of time, none of them stuck with me and they weren’t seeming to help much. After a lot of thinking, I decided to try journaling. I have been able to stick with this one the best and it has seemingly helped me more than anything else I’ve tried so far. 

My favorite part about journaling is that there are no rules! You can write as often or infrequently as you want, you can write in any way, and about anything you want. There are no limits and you can feel free to write about anything you want. With some other mechanisms, it can be difficult to completely let go of what has been going on in your life. But with journaling, you can be completely genuine and pour everything out.

Something else that I love is that it is completely confidential. It can be hard sharing your thoughts and emotions with other people for several reasons. Though, with a journal, you can write about anything you desire, with no worry that someone else is going to see it. You can pour every negative thought you’ve had about yourself, others, or a certain situation, with zero fear of judgment. Knowing that you are the only one who is ever going to see it can be relieving for some and make it easier to be more honest with yourself. 

I’ve learned that if I start writing, even when I don’t know what I want to say, it just starts coming to me and I feel like something was lifted off my shoulders when I can get it all out. Sometimes I don’t know how to verbalize my emotions and that is okay. I start by writing that exact statement down and try my best to explain how I feel physically. Usually, after I do that, I am able to determine what is making me feel that way and other ways that it’s affecting me.

Even though you may not want to, a journal is a good source to look back on. If you have everything written down in one place, it is easier to read through in the future. If you do this, it is a good opportunity to see your growth, from several aspects. You can see what wasn’t working for you then but is now (and vice versa), things that you have improved on, and things that might still be the same, that you want to keep working on. It will all be right there, ready for you whenever you are ready for it. 

I don’t know a single person who hasn’t struggled with their mental health at one time or another. Some know how to deal with it more efficiently than others and that’s okay! Anything that you are capable of doing to help your mental health is plenty. If you are struggling or you know someone who is struggling, please reach out. There is no shame in seeking out a little help sometimes. 

Hello! My name is Kaylee Kentzel. I am a Psychology major and a Forensic Criminology minor at Lasell University with the class of 2026. I enjoy reading, listening to music, watching and reviewing new movies, traveling, and taking photos!