Why Do Fashion Shows Always Get Canceled?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

As a Fashion Communication and Promotion major, every time I find a new TV show about fashion I get pretty excited. Usually TV shows just have fashion as an underlying theme (like Gossip Girl), so when it’s part of the actual story line I can’t believe it. I barely watch TV as it is, so I always look forward to adding a new show to my collection.

There is one major problem though. Most of these shows only last a season or two. Sure, we’re a niche market, but a strong one. In the United States alone nearly 1.8 billion people are employed in the fashion industry, so why don’t we see more of it on TV? Here’s a quick reminder of some incredible fashion TV shows that were cut way too short.

• Jane by Design:

Basically a more mature version of True Jackson, VP. Jane Quimby (Erica Dasher) is mistaken for an adult and lands a full time job working for Gray Chandler Murray (Andie MacDowell). Now she must balance high school and high fashion. Unfortunately the show was canceled after one season. Now we’ll never know what becomes of her career at Donovan Decker and what her future with Billy looks like.

• The Carrie Diaries:

The Carrie Diaries was the prequel to Sex and the City. Based on the book series by Candace Bushnell, 16 year old Carrie Bradshaw (AnnaSophia Robb) takes an internship at a law office in New York City to escape her small Connecticut town. While in New York, she catches the attention of Interview Magazine Style Editor Larissa Loughlin. Much like Jane by Design, Carrie has to balance her job at Interview with her life at school. This show did last two seasons, so we got some closure, but I still cried like a baby during the finale.

• Girlboss:

Loosely based on Sophia Amoruso’s experience creating Nasty Gal, Girlboss introduced us to Sophia Marlowe (Britt Robertson), a 20-something who is just trying to get by. After getting fired from a swanky shoe store, Sophia lands a gig as a security guard at an art school. However, her real passion is flipping vintage items and selling them for 10 times the price. Eventually she realizes she could make a living off of this, but has a lot of growing up to do in the process. This show also only lasted a season, which is a shame because if you read Amoruso’s book, you would know that there’s a lot more to her story.

Raegan Cleary is a senior at Lasell College studying Fashion Communication and Promotion. She likes French Bulldogs and long walks to Chipotle. In addition to Her Campus shes been doing theatre for eight years and this spring she'll be in her fourth production of Vagina Monologues. In the future she'd love to become the next Miranda Priestly or the frontwoman in a girl-punk band.