Tips for Writing Your Resume and Cover Letters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Applying for new jobs or internships can be quite scary and overwhelming, especially if you’ve never done it before. Aside from worrying about whether or not you’ll get the gig, you also have to face the tasks of perfecting your resume and writing a cover letter. Trust us though, doing this is so much simpler than you’d think! We here at Her Campus Lasell have come up with some great tips and suggestions on how to make the most out of writing your resume and cover letters.

The Resume – Thankfully, you really only have to draft a resume once. After you have a good format, you can update it with any new information as needed. Before sending your resume to a future job, make sure that it is up to date and presents yourself in the best light.

1. Put your name, address, primary phone number, and email address as the header. This is what your future employers are going to see first.

2. Write a short professional summary about yourself. This should be about two sentences highlighting your most important qualities and skills.

3. Your most recent work experience comes next. Include your company and its location, your position, and your start and end date. Then, list key things that you did at this job. Work backwards with your previous work experience and try to only add important jobs that fit where you want to be in the future.

4. Make sure to use positive words and adjectives, this resume is meant for you to brag about yourself!

5. If you’re in school, include where you attend, your major, graduation year, and some areas of study that will benefit you in this job or internship. Also be sure to include any clubs, sports, or other activities that you do on campus.

6. List all of the skills you have that will benefit you in this job.

7. If you have a blog, a website, or a LinkedIn page, include the links to those.

8. Start a new page and include your header with your name and contact information. This is where you put your references. Most jobs ask for at least three professional references.

The Cover Letter – Cover letters are different than a resume because you customize them to fit the job or internship that you’re applying for. They’re meant to tell your future employer about yourself and why you qualify the job you’re applying for.

1. Overall, a cover letter should show your enthusiasm toward the job you’re applying for.

2. Address your cover letter to the person who will be hiring you.

3. Your cover letter should have the same heading as your resume.

4. Like any other written letter, put the date and address of the company.

5. Explain why you are writing the letter and what drew you to the job, make sure this is specific to the job you’re applying for!

6. Include your current education information and what coursework you focus on, and include your GPA if it’s fitting.

7. Tell the employer about how you apply your coursework to what you’re working towards career wise and how it will help you in this job.

8. Lastly, ask for a chance to interview with the employer in person and thank them for taking the time to read your letter.

If you’re still struggling with writing these, there are numerous websites where you can fill out information and they will put together a resume or cover letter for you. Most of them aren’t free but they’re good so you can see templates and gain some grounding. Another great resource is the Career Services Office right on our Lasell campus. You can either make an appointment or send them your work and they will be happy to help critique it and make it the best possible. Happy job hunting Lasers!

Image courtesy of http://www.resumebaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/writing-resume.jpg