My First Spray Tan Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Recently I lost my spray tan virginity. I was never super pasty, and I spent a good amount of time in the sun anyway, so I never thought going tanning was necessary. My freshman year, I won a gift certificate to Blush Organic Sunless Tanning in Wellesley. Now I finally said “what the heck” and put it to use.

After receiving my prize I did some research. I love how Blush’s spray tans are all natural. The water-based formula is hypoallergenic, vegan AND gluten free! It promises a natural glow without any harmful ingredients such as alcohol and parabens. Most importantly, it won’t turn you orange. I  also found the spray tan to be affordable. The Blushtan Original formula, which takes 12 hours to set and lasts a week, is $50 for a full body treatment. Got a student I.D? Then you’re in luck because every Tuesday is student night and your I.D can score you 30 percent off!

To prep for my tan I made sure I wasn’t wearing any makeup and wore loose, comfy clothing I wasn’t afraid of staining (Blushtan does come out in the wash though!). I also wore a strapless bikini for convenience purposes. Before we got started, the technician helped me pick a color that would suit me. I picked light medium. Since I tan in the sun she gave me a golden undertone to match and make my tan appear more natural. The great part about Blush is that they keep a record of your preferences to refer back to.

In the booth I was given stickers to place on the bottoms of my feet to prevent them from turning orange and thick lotion for my hands and the tops of my feet. When I was all set, it was time to get down to business. The spray was a little cold, but I was surprised how weightless it felt. I was also not expecting the amount of bending and stretching necessary but I didn’t mind because it doubled as my workout for the week.

Overall I had a great first spray tan experience. I had no worries about putting the organic formula on my skin and loved that it turned be a nice bronze color instead of orange. While this isn’t something I can treat myself to every week, I definitely will continue to get spray tans from Blush. The glow serves as a confidence booster for a special event or even as a little pick-me-up during the colder months.

*Images from @Blushtan on Instagram

Raegan Cleary is a senior at Lasell College studying Fashion Communication and Promotion. She likes French Bulldogs and long walks to Chipotle. In addition to Her Campus shes been doing theatre for eight years and this spring she'll be in her fourth production of Vagina Monologues. In the future she'd love to become the next Miranda Priestly or the frontwoman in a girl-punk band.