Love True Crime? You Need to Check Out These Podcasts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

The (arguably) uniquely female obsession with true crime is intriguing, if a bit baffling.  Why are so many people so interested in learning about serial killers and missing person’s cases?  In my case, I grew up watching Dateline and Law and Order with my mom, so I guess I always thought it normal for law-abiding citizens to enjoy crime from a distance.  Luckily for me, there are many other people who enjoy stories about murder and unsolved mysteries, which has paved the way for many true crime podcasts.  If you’re looking for something macabre, informative, or even amusing, here are some podcasts I really think you should try out: 

My Favorite Murder

My Favorite Murder is one of the most popular podcasts at the moment, and it’s not hard to see why.  Hosted by Karen Killagraff and Georgia Hardstark, My Favorite Murder is funny, honest, and informative.  Karen and Georgia delve into unsolved murder cases, the stories of infamous serial killers, and “hometown stories” of crime sent in from listeners.  Beyond that, the hostesses are refreshingly open and honest about mental health, going to therapy, and about being a woman in 2019. Still, they manage to be witty even as they tackle serious subjects, and listening to them banter is truly delightful.  If you don’t mind a little humor sprinkled in with your murder, you’ll love My Favorite Murder.  Content note: profanity. 

The Fall Line

If you’re interested in learning more about unsolved missing persons cases, The Fall Line is the podcast for you.  In 4-5 episode stints, The Fall Line breaks down the most unsettling missing person’s cases from the last century, with a focus on cases originating in the American southeast.  Most recently, they covered the baffling disappearance of Shy’Kemmia Pate, who disappeared from her small Georgia town in September 1998 at the age of 8. Unlike My Favorite Murder (which is produced by the same company), The Fall Line is more straightforward in its presentation, but  with interviews and sometimes even transcripts from the people closely involved in these cases, it’s fascinating, chilling, and altogether intriguing.

Today in True Crime

This podcast puts a true-crime spin on the classic “this day in history” trivia.  Every day, a new episode tells of a criminal event that occurred on that day years ago, from the committing of infamous crimes to the capture of serial killers.  Today in True Crime is also a quick listen compared to other podcasts, with episodes clocking in at 15 minutes or less.  If you’re trying to get into podcasts or true crime, or feel as though you don’t have the attention span to sit through a 60-90 minute episode, you’ll like Today in True Crime.  Content note: graphic descriptions of crimes.

NBC Dateline

NBC’s Dateline is the OG true-crime centric show.  The reality legal TV series has been getting people hooked on true crime since 1992, and it’s now available in podcast format!  The daily episodes each cover a different unsolved true crime case. Where many other podcasts cover historical or well-known crimes, Dateline focuses on crimes that are more recent.  Featuring eye-opening interviews and commentary, the podcast immerses you in the case as much as the classic TV show, no screen needed. 

Cristina is a senior elementary education major at Lasell. She loves black labs, iced coffee, and reviewing every product that she has ever purchased.  When she's not freaking out about how many lesson plans that she has to write, she can usually be found with her nose in a historical fiction novel, listening to a true crime podcast, or taking pictures.