Life > Experiences

Inventions by Women I Cannot Live Without

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

In most cases, before we use our everyday items, we don’t exactly think about who created the gadget. However, during Women’s History Month, I feel that it is extremely important to think about what women contributed to society. It’s also important to note how difficult life could be if women hadn’t invented these tools. Some of these items might not be considered a necessity but are certainly things I cannot imagine living without.

Dishwasher: Josephine Cochran invented the first dishwasher; a wooden box that had a hand-turned wheel that splashed water onto dirty dishes while scrubbers scrubbed the dishes.

Life Raft: Maria Beasley originally constructed a collapsible metal float with airtight containers. These were, of course, easy to store and use in emergencies. Beasley’s design set the blueprint for modern lifeboats.

Car Heater: Margaret Wilcox created the car heater around 1838. She found out how to direct the engine’s hot air into the cabin in order to warm up the inside of the car.

Windshield Wipers: These were invented by Mary Anderson, and were originally called window wipers.

Monopoly Game: This famous board game was originally called the Landlord’s Game. Its creative structure was designed by Elizabeth Magie.

Anti-Fungus Medicine: This treatment was introduced in 1958 by Elizabeth Hazen and Rachel Brown, and continued to grow over time into what we know now.

Bullet Proof Fiber: This material was first created by a research chemist named Stephanie Kwolek, who discovered a crystalline polymer solution that was very strong and stiff and led to the creation of fiber Kevlar.

Home Security System: This system was invented by Marie Van Brittan Brown, who created the first closed-circuit television security system. This was a camera connected to a T.V. monitor and had a microphone that allowed the homeowner to interrogate the person before opening the door for them.

All of these items are inventions of women that have made a huge impact on our modern world as we know it. Without these things in my life, I don’t know where I would be! 

Carley Ellis

Lasell '26

Carley is a member and events director of HerCampus, she is a forensic science major in her sophomore year at Lasell University. She is also a member of other clubs on campus such as the Forensic Science Association. In her spare time she likes to read, play video games, and pick up new hobbies such as doing her own nails.