This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Moving into college after living in the same home for the majority of your life is quite the transition. Sharing a bathroom with all the girls on your floor, having to use a mattress pad and topper on your bed, and the bright hospital-like lighting in every room are just some of the things that require getting adjusted to. Adding more cozy and homelike decor and accessories to your dorm can help make all the difference, and it definitely made transitioning to college living a lot easier for me my freshmen year. Here are a few of my best tips on how to make your dorm room feel like your home away from home.

Lighting:

Having lamps and twinkly lights in your dorm will make your room so much more enjoyable, especially at night. After a while, the bright lights we see all around campus get to be a little too much, and having a few lamps that are more dim allows you to be much more relaxed in your dorm.

Target.com // walmart.com

Blankets:

Keeping a few blankets around in your dorm will make you feel so much more cozy, especially on cold fall and winter days. Folding a blanket at the end of your bed is also a great way to accessorize while also adding comfort.

pbteen.com

Pictures:

Having a picture wall in your room of your friends, family, pets, and other things that are important to you is also a great way to add a piece of home to your dorm.

pinterest.com

Chair pads:

The desk chairs that we all have in our dorm rooms aren’t the most comfortable things in the world. Adding a chair pad will make you feel so much more comfortable when getting ready in the morning or while doing homework.

ikea.com

Rugs:

Adding a few rugs around your room, such as by your bed and near your doorway, is another way to make your room feel like home. Dorm floors tend to get really cold so having a few rugs around makes your room look nice and makes it comfortable when walking around.

target.com

Pillows:

Having a few throw pillows on your bed is a cute and easy way to add a finishing touch to your room. Fluffy pillows or pillows with quotes on them add nice accents to your dorm, while also being extremely comfortable.

Bedbathandbeyond.com pbteen.com

Adding these accents to your dorm room will make it feel cozier and less bland, making you feel comfortable and happy to be there!

Brianna is a sophomore at Lasell College majoring in Fashion Merchandising, with a minor in Event Management. She loves shopping, traveling, and anything Disney related. In the future, Brianna plans to work in the bridal industry, as it has been something that she’s always dreamed of.
Madi is a sophomore Fashion Communciations major at Lasell College. In addition to being a part of Her Campus, she is also a part of Empty Bowls and is a Peer Mentor. She loves Harry Styles, hanging out with friends, and thrift shopping.