Wellness

How I am Making This Year Better Than the Last

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

It seems like these last few years every time I try to do what is best for me I am faced with challenge after challenge that makes it one of the most painful years, always more painful than the last. This year I have decided I am going to do everything in my power to make this year better than the last.

My way of doing this is to start by keeping my peace. From now on people will not be receiving my time and energy when they do not deserve it. As someone who gives people a million chances, I have started to see the more that you do that the more people take advantage of it. From now on people need to earn my respect before I automatically assume there is good in them. That also means I will not be reaching out to people who do not reach out to me. I will allow these issues to roll off my back because if they aren’t reaching out then clearly they don’t care enough. Meaning it shouldn’t be keeping me up at night struggling to go through day-to-day scenarios. 

Along with that, I am giving myself the time and space to deal with tough situations rather than creating a schedule that keeps me from healing. This can be with a simple time to partake in self-care, or finding something that makes me feel better as a whole. I am no longer going to live my life trying to focus on how everyone else needs me. I am going to make the most memories I can for myself and no longer allow for how other people view me to take up mental space. 

Last but not least, I am opening up time for me to get outside and take walks and admire the beauty of Lasell’s campus. I will continue to embrace where I am currently in life and everything it has taken for me to get here. I will no longer allow imposter syndrome to run my life. Accepting where I am in life and how I got here will be the most helpful way for me to grow. 

Carley Ellis

Lasell '26

Carley is a member and events director of HerCampus, she is a forensic science major in her sophomore year at Lasell University. She is also a member of other clubs on campus such as the Forensic Science Association. In her spare time she likes to read, play video games, and pick up new hobbies such as doing her own nails.