How to Get Over Your Back to School Homesick Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

We all get homesick from time to time. Especially if you moved far away from home and it is your first semester in college. However, I think it is really important to push through it, make the most out of every day, and your current situation. Trust me, it gets easier after your first semester. If you challenge yourself, give it time, and push through it the situation will get easier. When you take risks in life, a lot of great things can come from it. Everything takes time to get used to, so if you are anxious at first about moving away, definitely give it some time. So, here are my tips on how to get over being homesick.

1. FaceTime

Make time to Facetime family and friends. Scheduling time one night during the week or a weekend day to do so helps plan it for everyone.

2. Journal

Journaling about how you are feeling can always help with coping with emotions and getting it out.  

3. Make New Friends

Distracting yourself by making friends, joining clubs, or sports always helps. Talking to people in my classes, in my dorm building, and joining clubs is what helped me make friends. 

4. “Treat yo self”

On a day you do not have class, go out to a restaurant and get some comfort food, coffee, anything that might remind you of home or cheer you up.

5. Make Your Room Cozy

Making your room feel more like home by adding many pillows, blankets, or wall decor always helps. For me not having too many blank walls helped. Hanging up a tapestry or pictures help,

6. Bring Things That Remind You of Home

This could be your favorite blanket, pillow, or sweatshirt from home. Hanging up pictures of family, friends, or places near home help as well. 

I hope these tips help if this is your first time being away from home! Believe that everything will work out!

Emalee is a Senior at Lasell University and the President of Her Campus Lasell. She is currently a Campus Community Management Intern for Her Campus! She is a Fashion Merchandising and Management major and a Communications minor. Besides Her Campus, she is the President of Newman Society, loves taking photos, going for hikes, and going to the beach.