Style > Beauty

Halloween Makeup Inspo Taken From Your Fav Tik Tok Trend: the E-Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Here at Her Campus Lasell, we are committed to spooky content.  Halloween (and Fall in general TBH) is the perfect time for the best movies, costumes, music, books, and more.  This week we’ll be breaking down the ultimate lists to have you celebrating Halloween the right way.

As a former middle school emo kid, I have been living for this new age Tik Tok subculture of e- girls. If you’ve been under a rock and do not know what exactly this e-girl aesthetic entails, Vox best described the e-girl look stereotypically as “never wearing their natural hair color, will almost certainly be wearing winged eyeliner, and has clothes that are either thrifted or come from alternative-ish online fast-fashion retailers like Dolls Kill.” From what I’ve seen on the coveted app, e-girl staples include wearing all black and sporting hair clips, various chains, and intense makeup. 

Even though most of my clothes are thrifted, I love wearing black, and I can’t go anywhere without putting on at least five necklaces, I wouldn’t necessarily call myself an e-girl. However, I do think with Halloween coming up, this could be a really cool idea to dress up as.  Since I loved doing my Valentine’s Day Bratz Doll Challenge makeup so much last time, I decided to see what it would be like to look like an e-girl for a night. 

First, I needed to find some inspiration. This e- girl look challenge had been taking over and many YouTubers have been turning themselves into the trend for views.  One look that I loved and took my inspiration from was YouTuber, Kristen McAtee. Her pink eye look with heavy liner, blush, and mini hearts to match was just enough to pass for the e-girl look. After watching her video and taking the look step- by- step, I dove right in.

First I started with my usual base of foundation, concealer, and brows.  I just tried the e.l.f. Flawless finish foundation this month, and I’ve been loving how lightweight it is and how it feels on my skin.  I topped it off with my LA Girl concealer, which has been my go-to for years now.  My usual brown product is the Maybelline Eye Studio Brow Pencil and it usually does the job for the subtle definition of the brows, without being too noticeable. 

After my base was laid, I did minimal contour, just to add definition and then packed on the blush. I use the Tarte Holiday Collection book, which isn’t sold anymore, but can be found used here). This book not only has an assortment of 24 shades inspired by art and artists, but it also has universal shades of contour, bronzer, blush, and highlight that I find myself using daily.

I packed on the blush until my cheeks were the perfect airbrushed pink and made my eyes up to match.  There is a variety of bright pink and red colors in the Violet Voss Holy Grail palette that I own and they complemented the blush shade very well. 

The hardest part of this was the eyeliner.  I just picked up a new eyeliner from the dollar store (I don’t wear it often enough to pay anything more) and it took a few coats to make it even and as prominent as the e-girl look.  The little hearts and dot underneath my eyes were my favorite part to draw and surprisingly a lot easier than it looks! To finish off the look, I added mascara and then my lashes.  I have been using individual lashes lately instead of the strips and it’s actually life-changing and looks so much more natural than the strips. My go to’s have been the KISS Ever EZ Trio Lashes.  Once that was completed, I threw on some lip gloss and of course, my black hair clips and the look was finished!

Although I looked ridiculous and could never wear this on a daily basis, I was actually living for the look and I definitely recommend this as your go-to pop culture Halloween costume this year!

Madison Paloski is a senior at Lasell University studying fashion communication and promotion and graphic design.  She is currently the Editor in Chief of her school's chapter of Her Campus, an editorial stylist for POLISHED Magazine and Founder and Creative Director of the Fashion Styling and Photography Club on her campus.  She can most likely be found with an old film camera in hand, eating Chipotle, or at any local Saver's.  Her Instagram can be found at @maddiiiooyx and other work can be found at madisonpaloski.wixsite.com/portfolio.