The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Among the hustle and bustle of a college student’s lifestyle, incorporating fitness has started to become more common for many people. But, as popular as working out and fitness may be, nervousness can prevent someone from going to the gym. Katrina Eresman defines gym anxiety as, “…dread or worry about going to the gym and exercising in front of others.” If this sounds familiar, you are definitely not alone! Personally, I do not have the time to travel to a gym, workout, and travel back. Also, it can be intimidating to be in a public place performing exercises and feel as though people are watching you. As a college student, there are other alternatives if going to the gym causes anxiety. 

1. Invest in your style of fitness.

I understand that many college students do not have a lot of money to spend but investing in one’s style of fitness is truly beneficial and enhances the quality of your workouts. Also, there are different styles of fitness such as strength training, pilates, yoga, running, etc., so there is plenty of equipment one can purchase. First, a yoga or exercise mat is essential because it allows one to have space to do their workouts. Then depending on your style of workouts, purchasing key items where you get the most versatility with different exercises is a must. For instance, inexpensive dumbbells, resistance bands, a yoga block, wrist and ankle weights, and so much more. There is no need to buy the most expensive items either, places like Target, Amazon, and Dick’s Sporting Goods provide at-home items that are still of good quality. Also, buying workout clothes also helps me get in the mindset for working out, even if I am not in a gym. Stores like Lululemon, Target, Halara, Amazon, as well as Dick’s Sporting Goods, have plenty to look at! 

1. Follow a program.

College keeps me very busy and having some sort of program or guide to follow helps keep me focused on my workouts. Social media is very useful in this case because there are so many fitness influencers, coaches, and content creators out there who provide workout guides. My personal favorite is Caroline Girvan on YouTube, she has single videos and workout programs alike that provide amazing workouts…for free! Other popular and effective fitness creators include Heather Robinson, Sydney Cummings, Move with Nicole, PilatesBodyRaven, and there are so many more!

1. Make a schedule that works.

Following a workout program ties in with this, but it can be easy to not be consistent with your workouts especially if you do so in the comfort of your dorm. As easy as it is to be in your dorm and pull out all your equipment in a matter of minutes, it is just as easy to not do it at all. Then it is even easier to ignore if you don’t have a schedule set up despite the busyness of your college schedule. Having a workout schedule helps me stay on track and consistent; also a schedule keeps me accountable for my workouts.

Hi! My name is Celeste and I am currently a senior, majoring in Health Science at Lasell University. On campus, I am involved in a variety of clubs such as HerCampus, the Student Government Association as the VP of Academics, the Campus Activities Board, and the Knitting Club. Also, I intern at a health center as a patient resource advocate and I work at the IT Help Desk on my campus. In my spare time, my favorite things to do are read, watch videos or movies, and sit and chat with my friends!