Flux by Orion Carloto: Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Orion Carloto describes herself as “a 20-year-old literature loving, art admiring, poetry writing, cat mom of two.”  Originally from Georgia, she’s now based in Los Angeles and Brooklyn.  She is known for creating content on Youtube, Twitter, Instagram,  her website, orioncarloto.com, and now as a published author with her debut poetry book, Flux.

With any work she creates, she seeks to create a visual dream world for the lovers, the dreamers, and the brokenhearted.  Her book is no exception, with the continuing flow, being seen first in her dreamlike teaser video for the book, found here, and also in the book itself.  Each poem alternates in in a few lines per page for emphasis, or a whole two pages, some having stunning illustrations to accompany the words.

Her haunting voice in her poems really speak through with how she talks about the states of grief over a broken heart.  Since her stories are so raw and personal, they not only show a side of Carloto that not a lot of people get to see, but also give you a feeling of heartbreak is, whether you’ve felt it before or not.

Personally, I found myself feeling so many different emotions throughout each poem. The words with the illustrations really told a story into her past love stories, and it made you make connections to your past experiences as well.  The only words I could think of to describe this book is so incredibly, beautifully raw, and Carloto’s talents really shine through.

Carloto’s book can be purchased through Amazon, most bookstores, including Barnes and Noble, and through Apple iBooks.  

In the words of Carloto, “Flux is best read with a warm cup of coffee in hand.”

Madison Paloski is a senior at Lasell University studying fashion communication and promotion and graphic design.  She is currently the Editor in Chief of her school's chapter of Her Campus, an editorial stylist for POLISHED Magazine and Founder and Creative Director of the Fashion Styling and Photography Club on her campus.  She can most likely be found with an old film camera in hand, eating Chipotle, or at any local Saver's.  Her Instagram can be found at @maddiiiooyx and other work can be found at madisonpaloski.wixsite.com/portfolio.