Five Albums that Belong on Your Spring Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

While enduring the last few weeks of this winter, the past few days have been full of hope for spring. Even a few sunny days can make all the difference after a long and snowy season. If you can’t wait to soak in the sunshine and smell the flowers, here is a soundtrack for warmer weather that you might enjoy.

1.       The Struts

The Struts have announced a re-release of their 2014 album Everybody Wants. The album is perfect for spring with fun and lively rock songs. The Struts emulate the spirit of Rock N’ Roll, while staying light, and modern. A more polished and updated release of the band’s previous album is a great way to kick off spring. The Struts vocalist has a kind of fervor that is reminiscent of Queen and the Sex Pistols, while their instrumentals are modern and fun. The band’s hit single “Could Have Been Me” will have you singing along, and it’s impossible to resist the urge to dance while listening to ‘Kiss This’. The reissue will come out on March 4th with five new tracks.

2.       Bleached

Bleached’s new album, Welcome The Worms, is set to be released on April 1st. The album will be out just in time for spring, and judging by the singles which have already been released, it’s a fitting release date.  Bleached are best described as a mix of garage and surf rock; the group channels Joan Jett and the Runaways, while maintaining an original style. Their gritty sound is mixed with light hearted choruses and fun beats.

3.       The 1975

I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It, The 1975’s new album, was released on February 26th. The 1975’s smooth vocals and upbeat synthetic pop sound, make them the perfect band for spring. The group has released singles including “The Sound”, “UGH!”, “Somebody Else”, and “Love Me”; each of which resounds with its own bouncy, exciting, sound, and heartfelt message. The poetic, yet edgy truths hidden under each light-hearted techno beat, makes them a much more interesting listen.  

4.       Animal Collective

For those who are inclined towards indie and alternative, Animal Collective is a perfect fit. Painting With, which was released on February 19th, features intricate synthetic melodies interlaced with fun and unique percussion. The band has shifted gears since their last album, Centipede Hz, and has eliminated reverb, and embraced overlapping vocals. Slightly reminiscent of The Beach Boys, Painting With is a fun and lighthearted addition to your spring playlist.

5.       ZZ Ward

Somewhere between a blues artist and rock star, Ward, is a singer songwriter with intrigue. Her new album, This Means War, is set to be released on March 4th, 2016. “Love 3X”, the first single off the album, has charted at number five on the U.S. Dance charts. Based on her released singles, “Love 3X”, and “Lonely”, Ward’s new album should be much easier to dance to than her previous album, Till the Casket Drops. This Means War is great for those seeking out Spring albums with an edge.

Mackenzie Dineen attends Lasell College and will graduate in 2019, she is a Communications major concentrating in media journalism and entertainment media, and she hopes to write for Alternative Press one day. Mackenzie loves Punk and Rock music, is a firm believer in sustainable living, and spends most of her free time drawing, writing, singing, or reading. You will probably never spot Mackenzie with a natural hair color, and her fridge will never be lacking in chocolate ice cream, she is always open to making new friends or listening to new music!