sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Empowering Woman Series: Her Campus Writer and Social Media Director Raegan Cleary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

In light of International Women’s Day on March 8th, Her Campus Lasell found it necessary to highlight the woman that have impacted our lives or who we see making a difference for their community for this week (and every day).  In this Empowering Woman Series, we have chose to interview students, friends, family, and professors about what they do and what it’s like being bada** empowering woman. 

What happens when you mix punk rock, girly glam, theatre chic, and Boston fashion blogger?  You get our Her Campus Lasell writer and Social Media Director Raegan Cleary. Cleary remains an inspiration because she wears so many different hats in the fashion world.    

Cleary is extremely passionate about what she does, and it shows.  Her love for these topics started at an early age and just never left.  

“Growing up I tried a lot of different activities- Girl Scouts, Little League, etc. but nothing stuck with me like fashion. When I was little, I wanted to be a designer so I would always be sketching and my aunt taught me how to sew.  However, I quickly learned that I don’t have the patience for sewing,” Cleary said.  “I also loved writing in school and would stay in during recess to finish my stories, but I forgot how much I liked writing until high school, so I’m glad I was able to rediscover that. I also have been doing theatre for almost nine years. I wandered into a drama club meeting freshman year of high school, expecting to work on costumes if anything, but it snowballed into something so much more.”  

Something that stuck with her throughout high school and college (other than fashion) has been writing.  Cleary claims that writing to her gives you the ability to say whatever you want, whenever you want.  

She said, “I was definitely scared of it at first, and I still hate writing personal narrative, but my confidence has grown tremendously since I started writing seriously. Writing about something you’re really passionate about and sticking by it 100% does wonders for your self-esteem too. Writing is also empowering in the sense that I give voice to a lot of important topics and people. I can cover anything from fashion to politics and both are equally as valid.  Even having the smallest audience is a privilege and I owe it to them to write what matters.”

When asked what her hobbies were outside of fashion and writing, Cleary laughed.  

“Honestly I feel like I don’t have many hobbies outside of fashion and writing, which I don’t necessarily think is a bad thing,” she said.

However, she does frequently go to concerts to see all of her fav musicians live. 

“Concerts are my happy place. Especially ones in tiny dive bars. The energy between the artist and the crowd is indescribable, it truly blows my mind. I can’t even comprehend when people say that they don’t really listen to music or care for it. It’s the best adrenaline rush you can get, and I hope everyone experiences it one day.”

With that being said, Cleary takes a lot of her style inspiration from the music she listens to.  Her music taste is pretty diverse, ranging everywhere from 2000s alternative to classic rock.  Her inspirations include everyone from Debbie Harry, and Stevie Nicks to Hayley Williams, Halsey, and even Ariana Grande.  Her diversity in her music shows in her different style aesthetics with how she can wear ripped jeans and a band tee one day and a Gucci belt and faux fur the next.  

“I think music and fashion are so closely related because they are both very personal forms of expression. They are mutually exclusive, you can’t have one without it affecting the other.”

Cleary tries to keep her wardrobe pretty neutral, but loves to mix differing aesthetics with a leather jacket, a pair of Levis, bell sleeves, and some light pink. 

She can be found posting her various OOTDs and French Bulldog pics on her Instagram, @raegarific, and posting as a fellow Her Campus member here.  

*Photos Courtesy of Cleary

Madison Paloski is a senior at Lasell University studying fashion communication and promotion and graphic design.  She is currently the Editor in Chief of her school's chapter of Her Campus, an editorial stylist for POLISHED Magazine and Founder and Creative Director of the Fashion Styling and Photography Club on her campus.  She can most likely be found with an old film camera in hand, eating Chipotle, or at any local Saver's.  Her Instagram can be found at @maddiiiooyx and other work can be found at madisonpaloski.wixsite.com/portfolio.