Style > Fashion

Easy Sustainable Fashion Tips That You Can Follow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

The fashion industry has become so saturated with fast fashion brands that it can be hard to not run to Zara or H&M and purchase the latest trends for a very cheap price. Brands like these and other fast fashion brands are doing real harm to the environment and those who are in factories creating these clothes. Shopping more sustainably has been a goal of mine and something I am still trying to transition to and eventually move away from fast fashion for good. If you don’t know where to start when it comes to changing your shopping habits, here are some easy sustainable fashion tips that even beginners can follow!

1. Focus on quality over quantity

There is no doubt that this can be hard, but changing your mindset when you are shopping to investing in quality pieces can have so many benefits. Rather than buying ten cheap pieces that will likely fall apart or be out of style in a year, you can buy two or three quality basics or pieces reflective of your style that you can wear again and again and have forever. If you have always wanted to buy a higher-end piece now you can! The money that it would’ve cost you to buy those ten cheap pieces you’ll probably realize will help you afford that more expensive high-quality piece that will last a lifetime!

2. Shop second-hand clothes

Thrift Stores can be found anywhere and shopping here is one of the easiest and best ways to be sustainable. Not only are you giving these clothes a second life, but they usually come at a discounted price and you can find some unique pieces! If you are not into going to a thrift store and digging through the racks to find some great pieces there are so many options online. Places like ThredUp, Depop, Poshmark, and Curtsy are just some of the many second-hand reselling apps you can shop from to be more sustainable!

3. Shop from Fashion Brands with open brand values and messaging 

Brands that are genuinely doing good won’t hide the things they are doing to be more environmentally conscious and sustainable. Transparency in fashion can give you insight into how products were made and who they were made by. In my last article I talked about the app Good On You which rates brands based on how ethical and sustainable they are. Read my last article here for more information!

Julia McNicol is a junior at Lasell University studying Fashion Media and Marketing with a minor in Journalism. She loves exploring the city, shopping, and watching a good rom-com! Her Instagram can be found at @juliamcnicol as well as @juliashannonxoxo for fashion-specific content.