Style > Fashion

Ethical Fashion App “Good On You” Bring Attention Towards Sustainable Fashion Brands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Today consumers are starting to care more about where they buy from and who they buy from. Are you purchasing from an ethical and sustainable company? Are you purchasing from a company that is fair-trade, one creating safe working conditions for its employees and providing fair wages? Are the businesses you buy from supporting causes or giving back to the community in any way? These are just a few of the questions some shoppers may now be asking themselves before making a purchase. Without doing a lot of research it may be hard to determine all of the values and realities behind a brand. The app and website Good On You makes it easier to find brands who are doing good things and weed out the ones who are not. 

On this app you can browse by different categories like activewear, tops, bottoms, and more. You also have the option to search brands you already know and shop to see how they rate and stack up next to other brands, or you can discover new brands and sustainable alternatives. You can also read articles to discover new brands like one called “10 Sustainable Alternatives to Hollister”. 

Brands are rated with one of these five categories: “we avoid ”, “not good enough”, “it’s a start”, “good”, and “great”. You can then also take a look at the price range the brand sits at by the number of dollar signs presented indicating if it is more affordable or expensive. The app will provide some information on the brand and its environmental policies as well as suggesting similar brands to shop that are more environmentally friendly. As consumers we should be held more responsible to take notice of the brands we are buying from. I have already learned tons about brands that I used to shop that I no longer will anymore. Good On You  provides consumers with a whole catalogue of ethical alternatives. I will definitely be using this as a reference before making new purchases to make sure my money is going in the right places. Take a look at the Good On You app and see what you can discover!

Julia McNicol is a junior at Lasell University studying Fashion Media and Marketing with a minor in Journalism. She loves exploring the city, shopping, and watching a good rom-com! Her Instagram can be found at @juliamcnicol as well as @juliashannonxoxo for fashion-specific content.