Courtney Braman – Community Service, Senior Citizen Prom, and RA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

“I want people to see that service is fun and to also have Lasell College impact our community and other communities in a positive light. Nothing feels better than putting a smile on the faces of people in need,” says Courtney Braman, this week’s Campus Celebrity.

This junior Communications major has a lot on her plate! She has a dual concentration of Public Relations and Creative Advertising, and is minoring in Event Management. Courtney is the Co-President of Hope for Humanity, the Assistant Promotions Director for Lasell College Radio, and the coordinator/host of the Intergenerational Lasell Village Senior Citizens Prom.

Courtney is a fairly well-known face in and around the Lasell community. You may have seen her around campus. You may have seen her on the turf wearing the number 12 for Lasell College Field Hockey. You may have even seen her driving the shuttle every now and then.

Courtney has a big heart, and is very involved in community service.

When she was in high school, Courtney would help out with a senior citizen’s prom. “I wanted to bring the tradition with me to Lasell,” she says, “especially after finding out about Lasell Village. Some of the residences would mention comments about the students that felt as if they saw all the students in a negative light, so the prom has changed that!” Courtney does not receive funding from any clubs or organizations on campus for the Prom, but she does receive volunteer help.

“IT/Plant Ops helps with DJ accessories and Spencer Levin volunteers his time for the cause, which means the world to me seeing as there is no outside funding for this event.” Melissa Knight, Lasell Village’s Event Coordinator, pitches in to help with the Prom as well. Lasell students are encouraged to attend the Prom and do some intergenerational mingling!

The Gardner, Massachusetts native has quite the impressive volunteer resume, with over 30 volunteer events listed. A good amount of the volunteer work she has done has been with Hope for Humanity.

“I decided to join in the fall of my freshman year,” says Courtney. “After not hearing back after the Activities Fair other than one meeting I had thought that it was just not meant to be. In the Spring 2014 I was offered to take over and rebuild the club with Danielle Cutillo (’15). We were thrilled and very excited to take on the position.” The club had started with only 15 members, but have grown to 109 members.

Courtney competed in this year’s Muck Fest, a 5K mud obstacle course which raises money for MS.

If you are looking to get involved with community service here at Lasell, or you just want a really great role model, Courtney is your girl.

Photos provided by Celebrity.

Angela is a senior communication major with a concentration in public relations, and is double minoring in legal studies and sports communication. She studied in Washington, D.C. during the Spring 2016 semester. Angela has interned with McGovern Law and the Washington Ballet. She once was in the same press conference as President Obama. When not in class, she can be found in the Brennan Library studying, in the one of the gyms on campus or taking a nap. Angela is a sports lover, buffalo chicken enthusiast, and future master sommelier.