This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

It’s that time of year again.  Students all over the world are returning to school for the new academic year.  If you’re a first-time college student (or even a returning one), chances are you’ve received catalogs in the mail or read articles online detailing all the things you need to bring with you to college.  The bath totes, shower shoes, and trash bins that show up on every iteration of this list are indeed necessities for students who live on campus, but what if you are a commuter? Well, you may not need to purchase a twin XL comforter set, but you’re not entirely off the hook when it comes to back-to-school shopping.  There a few things you’ll still need to buy to ensure readiness.

A subscription to a streaming service

Regardless of how you get to school, a well-curated playlist will make the commute a million times more bearable.  You can only listen to the same song on the radio so many times before it becomes annoying, and personally I have no patience for radio commercials.  A membership with a music streaming service, whether it be Spotify, Apple Music, or Pandora, will eliminate the need to station-hop or sit through a song you hate.  I would recommend taking it one step further and creating a commuting playlist to save yourself the hassle of skipping songs to find a good one, and avoid dramatic crying sessions behind the wheel (I have a rule that nobody is allowed to play sad songs in my car for this reason).  

A carry-all bag

L.L. Bean Deluxe Book Pack in Black, $49.99, llbean.com (available in 9 colors)

I have a reputation on campus for always being really prepared.  As a commuter, I really have no choice but to carry everything I might need with me around campus.  This, understandably, necessitates a big carry-all bag (because handling multiple bags isn’t fun at all).  You might think that all you’ll need is your laptop, some textbooks, and writing utensils, but sometimes college calls for more than that.  At various points during my college career thus far I’ve found myself needing to bring with me a camera, a change of clothes, a set of acrylic paints, glitter (the joys of being an education major), and more seemingly random items.  Whether you go the traditional route with a backpack, or the trendy one with a messenger bag, having one place for all your stuff will prove crucial for you as a commuter student.

Headphones

Sony ZX Series On-Ear Headphones, $19.99, bestbuy.com

One of the hallmarks of being a commuter student is scheduling your classes as close together as possible, or if you can’t swing that, finding places to hang out between classes.  Campus centers, libraries, and cafes are great places to pass the time, but communal spaces can get pretty loud and hectic. If you’re trying to study or be at least somewhat productive, other people’s conversations can prove quite distracting.  Headphones won’t entirely resolve this issue, but it will help drown out the noise. Even if they’re just the Apple EarPods that came with your iPhone, music will make the time in-between classes more productive (your streaming service subscription will come in handy here as well).  

A small wallet/card holder

Vera Bradley Iconic Zip ID case in Vines Floral, $14, verabradley.com (available in 9 patterns)

As a college student, you should have ID and a health insurance card on your person at all times.  What you don’t need to have on you at all times? Old receipts and loyalty cards to your favorite stores.  While you probably wouldn’t think twice about throwing your overstuffed wallet into your school bag, doing so takes up an inordinate amount of space and results in you lugging around the aforementioned items.  Instead, put the important cards in a small wallet or card holder to take to school. You can even get one with a key ring, so you can keep all of your important personal belongings together.

Commuting to school has some big advantages, the most salient of which is the fact that you don’t need to uproot your whole life and, in turn, buy a lot of stuff.  Still, I live by the idea that you can never be too prepared, and with a few smart purchases you can prevent a total freak-out down the road.

Cristina is a senior elementary education major at Lasell. She loves black labs, iced coffee, and reviewing every product that she has ever purchased.  When she's not freaking out about how many lesson plans that she has to write, she can usually be found with her nose in a historical fiction novel, listening to a true crime podcast, or taking pictures.
Madi is a sophomore Fashion Communciations major at Lasell College. In addition to being a part of Her Campus, she is also a part of Empty Bowls and is a Peer Mentor. She loves Harry Styles, hanging out with friends, and thrift shopping.