Why Netflix’s ‘YOU’ Should Be Next On Your Watch List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

It is already one of the most talked about TV shows this year: ‘You’ has enough plot twists and shocking moments to keep you hooked from the get go.

I watched Gossip Girl a while back when it was first released onto Netflix and being a fan of Penn Badgely as the loveable character of Dan, I was excited to watch ‘You’ to see a different side to his acting. I must admit, I was first a bit unsure about watching the hit TV show as it is made by the producers of Riverdale, whose, in my opinion, storylines are wearing a little thin. However, due to the talk on social media and people’s reactions to the twists and turns in the plot, I decided to give it a go. I’m glad I did, as from the first episode I was addicted, wanting to continue watching to find out what happened next.

Image from indie wire

The plot focuses around a bookshop owner that does not know the difference between stalking and romance. Based on the book of the same name, the story is told from the perspective of a ‘kind hearted’ book store manager Joe Goldberg (Penn Badgely) who becomes infatuated with a beautiful young writer Guinevere Beck (Elizabeth Lail). He begins by adopting extreme measures of stalking her online, to then hovering outside her house, so he can protect her from her own choices and those that she cares about – he will go to any length to achieve this. The more we learn about Joe’s character, the creepier he becomes, leaving you unsure whether you love him or hate him. 

With its all-star line-up including Penn Badgely (Gossip Girl), Elizabeth Lail (Once Upon A Time) and Shay Mitchell (Pretty Little Liars), the cast and writing ‘do just enough to ensure that it is not a comfortable experience’  watching the series. Although Joe’s character is risky- it is exactly this reason that makes it so exciting and keeps you hooked.

Overall, I think this is an exceptionally exciting and thrilling drama that takes you through the plot from the stalker himself- leaving the fate of the other characters unknown. Make sure its next on your watch list!

Rating: 9/10

Meg Granville

Lancaster '19

Meg is a third year Lancaster University student currently studying Sociology. Her favourite subjects to write about include tips for studying at uni and reviewing films. This is Meg's first year writing for Her Campus and is looking forward to the opportunities it brings for her career in publishing.
Helen Jordan

Lancaster '19

Helen is a third year English Language student and will graduate in 2019. Her favourite topics to write about include cooking and tips for uni life. This is Helen's second year writing for Her Campus and she is looking forward to her role as Chapter Correspondent for Lancaster in the 2018/2019 academic year.