sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What You Need To Know About Watermelon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Before you write off watermelon as being bland and sometimes mushy, here are some interesting facts that you should know about the Citrullus lanatus.

Watermelons are both a fruit and a vegetable

Whether watermelon is classed as a fruit or vegetable is a widely debated topic. It tastes like a sweet fruit but grows in vegetable gardens and is related to the cucumber, squash and pumpkin plants.

You can eat the entire fruit

Yes, you read that right, you can eat the watermelon rinds which have surprising health benefits. The rind can stewed, fried or pickled, and the seeds are often dried and roasted.

It’s mostly water

A less surprising fact, but one that also has its health benefits: watermelons are 92% water– a tasty way to stay hydrated on a hot summer’s day!

An ideal health food

Low in calories and rich in vitamins A and C as well as potassium, if you are looking to kick start your day with a health boost, why not opt for a slice of watermelon?

Watermelon has beauty benefits and is bursting into the beauty world

Its rich vitamin and mineral content means that watermelon is perfect to revive and refresh your skin. Found in many beauty products, this is a must have!

Image from Makeup.com

With amazing health benefits, a sweet taste and a common ingredient in many beauty products, the watermelon should not be quickly dismissed!

Third year Sociology student at Lancaster University.
Helen Jordan

Lancaster '19

Helen is a third year English Language student and will graduate in 2019. Her favourite topics to write about include cooking and tips for uni life. This is Helen's second year writing for Her Campus and she is looking forward to her role as Chapter Correspondent for Lancaster in the 2018/2019 academic year.