photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Morning Love Affair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

With every sunrise, I am realising my deep affection for morning. There’s something about when the day breaks that I find so deeply satisfying, and I find no greater comfort than in that change from a crisp air to a warmth from the glowing sun.

Don’t get me wrong, a lie-in is dreamy. But, I still prefer to wait up between 6 and 7am, get everything done before 2pm at the latest, then spend all afternoon in bed. At least on a lecture-free day. And more often than not, the sun wakes me up naturally so I’ve no hatred of the impending alarm.

As I have now claimed to be a morning person, I must certify that I am not the typical grab-a-coffee girl. I prefer a brisk walk for fresh air, as long as the sun is out, the temperature doesn’t bother me. I don’t subscribe to coffee; sure, the caffeine is exhilarating every now and then; but I prefer that rush every once in a while, not on the regular. Sunlight is my alternative to caffeine. Plus, that little bit of exercise is often disguised as a moment to just simply wake up, and experience freedom before the day gets busy enough to take over.

Waking up early means I always have time to make breakfast, and if I’m after something fancier I can pull it off without having to rush out of the house with it in my hand. We all know how important breakfast is, and if I skip it because of a lie-in then I’m sure to be grumpy and hungry for the rest of the day. If it’s not a busy morning, I prefer something savoury – some kind of fry up or toast with scrambled eggs and tomatoes – if not, I’m quite content with a bowl of porridge and a banana.

Enjoying your mornings takes time, and the key really is a good night’s sleep beforehand. If you go to bed and sleep soundly you’ll be refreshed when the sun seeps through in the morning. I find that being productive makes the most of your mornings, I always regret lazing about and wasting half of the day. If I can get daily chores done by 10am then I feel like I have the whole rest of the day to play with!

So I guess I’m having this love affair with mornings, although it’s becoming quite the foundation of a beautiful friendship. May this continue, because there’s nothing quite like a sunrise in Lancaster.

Anna Mather

Lancaster '19

Anna is a final year student of French & Linguistics at Lancaster University and will graduate in 2019. She is one of Lancaster's Chapter Correspondents. Her favourite topics to write about are fashion, style and interior design ideas. She loves to share photos on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/ku_layrosas/ She also runs Kulayrosas, her own fashion, faith and lifestyle blog: https://kulayrosas.com/