This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

The fifth week of term marks halfway point of first term (where has the time gone?). It’s the time when deadlines are coming at you hard and fast, the word ‘dissertation’ for final years makes you feel a bit sick, and you are wishing you could start over to develop those organizational skills you promised you’d master.

Image from Estée Janssens on Unsplash

There’s no point dwelling on the past five weeks, wishing you’d worked harder and got your head down.

Take the halfway point as an opportunity to focus on what you can do now, reflect on the time that has already gone and put measures in place to do better.

Image from Nathan Dumlao on Unsplash

If you are struggling, either mentally or academically, know that it’s okay to be feeling this way. Reach out to people you trust, whether it’s who you live with, your family and friends at home or your academic advisor and seminar tutors. Lean on your support network and the university staff. By letting your tutors know that you may be falling behind, it is at this stage that they can give you guidance about where to go next, rather than waiting until the night before your final exam to realise that you didn’t understand your week one lecture.

Image from Thomas Drouault on Unsplash

Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Set realistic goals for the second half of term and by the time the Christmas holidays arrives, you will hopefully feel a lot more at ease.

Helen Jordan

Lancaster '19

Helen is a third year English Language student and will graduate in 2019. Her favourite topics to write about include cooking and tips for uni life. This is Helen's second year writing for Her Campus and she is looking forward to her role as Chapter Correspondent for Lancaster in the 2018/2019 academic year.