This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

LightUp Lancaster took place during the weekend running up to November 5, Bonfire Night. As usual, it was a true spectacle with various installations happening across the city of Lancaster, UK. 

There was plenty to see and get involved in. The highlight was the flying (like kites) of giant owls in the Market Square; their luminous colours changed and the enticed the crowd as they majestically caught the Autumn-evening breeze. Market Square was also home to an installation of wings, which many people stood in front of and had a professional photograph taken.  

Lancaster’s Dalton Square was lit up with Chinese lanterns, and hosted a traditional Chinese shadow-puppet show. There were stalls of Chinese street food, calligraphy and even a roaring dragon.

Up at Lancaster Castle, a powerful performance took place with a chilling yet heart-warming scene projected onto the Castle’s wall. The singer/rapper beautifully took the stage and the crowd by storm, singing about feeling at home and how everyone deserves a home. Powerful.

In Storey Gardens was an installation centred around birds. Accordian-like makeshift birds were nestled in the trees, sounding soft chirps into the garden. Also there were three beautiful light up birds.

The weekend’s spectacle ended with Lancaster’s big annual fireworks display at the Castle, and the majority of the city watched from the stepsof Ashton Memorial in Williamson Park.

If you’re in Lancaster next year, it’s a weekend not to miss! Share your LightUp Lancaster snaps with us on Instagram @hercampuslancs and use the hashtags #hercampuslancs #lovelancs and #hcxo!

Anna Mather

Lancaster '19

Anna is a final year student of French & Linguistics at Lancaster University and will graduate in 2019. She is one of Lancaster's Chapter Correspondents. Her favourite topics to write about are fashion, style and interior design ideas. She loves to share photos on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/ku_layrosas/ She also runs Kulayrosas, her own fashion, faith and lifestyle blog: https://kulayrosas.com/