How To Brighten Up Any Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

It happens to the best of us: you scroll through the accommodation options before moving to Uni, TOTALLY convinced by the not-so-candid photos of student models laughing too ferociously over a cup of tea or grinning at their reading list (how did we buy that one?!), until the time eventually comes and your empty room looks *NOTHING* like you’d imagined it would. It can be quite daunting, especially for those who struggle with homesickness, so you unpack; and then it’s even worse than when you started, in a bland room with a heap of clothes and boxes. (And FYI Freshers, it’s gonna happen every. single. year!)

But that’s ok! Over the years I’ve clocked up a grand total of six uni rooms (including my Masters and two on my year abroad!) and some of them were not great… until I worked my magic that is. And now, I’m here to spread some interior inspiration and room hacks your way so that you too can add some sparkle to your uni room!

1. Fairy Lights.

I *swear* by fairy lights. You miiiight want to check the handbook of what you can and can’t have in your room before you invest in a family deluxe set (think Stranger Things, Netflixers), but many sets do come battery operated which means you’re not running any risks. They’re just so magical!

2. Bunting.

Bunting is life. I must own about 10 sets: from the can-never-go-wrong floral staple, to the wooden heart-shaped GBBO-worthy, to my all-time favourite green tartan and reindeer silhouette flags I bought last winter (sooo Nordic). I even made my own mini-bunting with washi tape and cotton thread, which looks super cute and dainty above a desk.

3. Wallpaper.

Wondering what to do with all that space on your notice board but not quite the Polaroid queen that your neighbour is? Have no fear – the wallpaper samples are here. Have no shame! (I don’t) – take a trip to B&Q/Wilko’s/or even *dare I say it* Laura Ashley and you don’t even need to buy a whole roll (I did the math – it’s about 4 shots in Hustle or 2 and a half vodka lemonades in Sugar), but just pretend you’re a serial interior designer. Which you kind of are. It brightens up your wall and you don’t run the risk of losing your deposit over blue-tack-on-walls problems.

4. Rugs.

So many of you will overlook this one since the vast majority of you have a carpet beneath your feet, but how cosy does a rug make your room! For the IKEA savvy, you know where to go – and if the £7.50 delivery charge doesn’t suit your budget, check out anywhere from Argos to Amazon, and you’ll be sure to find one. Don’t worry about going over the top either – my old flatmate once put a welcome mat outside her bedroom in second year, complete with a garden gnome on one side and a little yellow dog with a welcome sign hanging from its mouth on the other. If you hadn’t heard it all before…

5. Over-The-Door Hangers.

Who invented this ingenious idea?! While they might be a bit stiff going over the fire-proofed door to your actual room, what’s to stop you popping it over your wardrobe door or if you have one, an en-suite? I’ve hung allsorts from mine, from coats to bags, scarves, woolly hats, towels, hanging ornaments – even an outfit on a hanger ready for the next day. They’re a great way to cover up some empty space around your room, and allow for a little creativity and individuality. Afterall, there are thousands of the same empty walls across Uni accommodation, so whether you’re in the cheap-as-chips old block or the deluxe ensuite, there’s nothing stopping you from becoming an Interiors Queen like me!

Masters student at Lancaster University and unofficial Queen of Madrid. Living for coffee, travels, and Zara Home, mostly. Follow the Insta-fun @dial_emma.
Lover of fashion, beauty, art, travelling