The Food Blog: 5 Quick Breakfasts You’ll Want To Wake Up For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

As a university or college student, sleeping is one of our main priorities. That’s fair enough; who doesn’t love a lie in? But, as I’m sure many of you know, breakfast is perhaps, the most important meal of the day. Fancy waking up to a yummier start to the day? Here’s how!

1. Oatmeal

Raise your hand if you love delicious, filling and nutritious breakfasts ready in under 3 minutes. I know I sure do. Oatmeal is so versatile: add water to the oats, a dash of cinnamon, a handful of your favourite berries, microwave or heat up for 3 minutes and give it a stir. For people with a sweeter tooth, drizzle on some honey and a little coffee for an extra push. Throw in some fresh berries and garnish with seeds and nuts. You can also switch the water for milk (skimmed, if you’re going for the healthier option) for a creamier texture. Want to switch it up a bit? Have raspberries instead of blueberries, try different nuts or add/take out some of the ingredients. Each oatmeal bowl will have a different flavour each time. Your taste buds (and your sleepy self!) will thank me later. 

[pagebreak]

2. Toast

Whole grain, white, brown, multigrain…whichever type of toast you’re going for, the possibilities are endless. Shove a couple slices into the toaster and let your imagination wander. Feeling that need for chocolate? Go for Nutella. Craving the sweetness but not the fatty elements? Spread on some honey. Feeling fruity? Choose a flavour of jam that you love. Protein rush? Pile on the peanut butter (and add some slices of banana on top, too!). Whatever option you’re going for, it’s such a quick breakfast to put together and remember: if you’re feeling guilty from all that sugary sweetness of the Nutella just know that you can have anything for breakfast as it’s the first meal of the day and those calories are the ones you burn off the quickest. It’s a fact. You’re welcome. 

[pagebreak]

3. Pancakes This may take a little longer than the previous two, but we’re talking about ten minutes, maximum. The healthier pancake option is also much less time consuming! Mix oats, 2 eggs, cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of water. Heat up your pan, smear on some olive oil (better than butter!) and when your mixture and pan are ready, get cooking! Top them with warm berries and fresh fruits, some nuts or just simple honey or maple syrup. Feel like you need that extra umph? Go for Nutella or peanut butter. They work with everything.

[pagebreak]

4. Eggs (and everything!)Scrambled, hard boiled, soft boiled, fried…you name it. Eggs are one of the quickest yet healthiest things to incorporate in your diet, so why not for breakfast? If you’re a savoury kind of person, how about this: lightly fry some bacon, a sausage or two, perhaps some grilled mushrooms or some tomatoes. A perfect recipe if you’re having brunch on the weekend, or if you’re skipping lunch and need something to keep you going until your next snack. I enjoy eggs with toast, peanut butter and jam, and a green tea after an intense morning workout on a Saturday morning. Who doesn’t love the weekend?

[pagebreak]

5. Yoghurt

Feeling like something fresh that will only take seconds off your morning routine? Yogurt. All day, everyday. Fruit flavours, simple white ones, sweet vanilla or chocolate choices, Greek yogurt… whatever it is you’re craving, it’s going to be the perfect quick fix breakfast. I love Greek yogurt topped with fresh fruit and cereal that perfectly cancel out the slightly bitter taste of this delicious dairy product. You can create all sorts of different combinations: sprinkle on some muesli, add jam or honey, throw in some berries, top with plain corn flakes.The best thing about yogurt? You can do absolutely anything with it and it is super good for you.

Mother tongue English, fully Italian. Born in Tokyo, lived in Hong Kong, grew up in Milan and currently studying at Lancaster University, UK. Multi lingual, I love to read, write, sing, cook and lead a healthy lifestyle. Her Campus Lancaster Editor in Chief as of April 2014!
English Language and Sociolinguistics student at Lancaster University. Writer, editor and soon to be teacher.Campus Correspondent for HC Lancaster: emilyhaigh@hercampus.com.Instagram: emilykatehaighTwitter: EMHAIGHx