bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Food Blog: 3 Snacks You Won’t Feel Guilty About Eating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

It’s a common thought that snacking throughout the day can result in weight gain or an unhealthy lifestyle. Wrong. Snacking throughout the day prevents you from over-eating and actually increases your metabolism, leading to possible weight loss. Unfortunately, this does not mean you can stuff your face with creamy milk chocolates and fries and still get that bikini body you’ve been working towards… Sorry to disappoint!

Looking for a healthy mid-morning or afternoon snack? Here is what I do to kill those cravings.

1. Sprinkle That Cinnamon!

I absolutely love cinnamon. It goes with everything and can turn just about anything into a delicious snack. Cut up some apples, pears, plums, bananas (the list goes on and on, but these are my favourite), microwave them in a bowl and let the cinnamon melt through the pulp and spice up your appetite. Cinnamon not only increases your metabolism and helps digest food quicker, but it tastes absolutely sublime. It’s just that little thing which makes everything better and believe it or not, this time we’re not talking about chocolate. 

[pagebreak]

2. Dip ‘n’ Go!

Yes, this seems like such a boring snack but believe me, you need to try it before you judge it. Chop up some carrots, cucumbers, peppers or celery and dip them in hummus. The chickpea flavour will make you want to devour all of it right there and then, trust me. It’s a refreshing yet filling snack which will you keep you going until lunch time. Not crazy for hummus? How about some spreadable cheese, or this quick and easy home made healthy dip: mix Greek yogurt with a dash of pepper, salt and oil and voilà! You’ve got yourself a dip which doesn’t include mayonnaise, even though it tastes just as good and is guilt-free. 

[pagebreak]

3. My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard (and mine IS so much better than yours!)

Two ingredients and a blender; that’s all you need. Just one banana and one glass of milk (cow, almond or soy!). When you need a little extra push, but you’re not that hungry or bothered, a milkshake is always a good idea. These two ingredients blend together beautifully. The texture is thick and creamy, and you won’t realise there isn’t any sugar or junk food in there. It’ll have you licking your lips for more. If your sweet tooth is kicking in, add a teaspoon of peanut butter and cocoa powder. They’re both really good for you, don’t worry. Consumer satisfaction? Guaranteed. 

Mother tongue English, fully Italian. Born in Tokyo, lived in Hong Kong, grew up in Milan and currently studying at Lancaster University, UK. Multi lingual, I love to read, write, sing, cook and lead a healthy lifestyle. Her Campus Lancaster Editor in Chief as of April 2014!
English Language and Sociolinguistics student at Lancaster University. Writer, editor and soon to be teacher.Campus Correspondent for HC Lancaster: emilyhaigh@hercampus.com.Instagram: emilykatehaighTwitter: EMHAIGHx