Everything You Need To Know Before You Go Interrailing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Many students love the idea of backpacking round Europe, but don’t know a lot about it. When researching to do so through the Interrail website, there isn’t really enough information so here’s a guide to help you work out whether you’d enjoy the experience and if it’s right for you.

1. There are Hidden Costs

An Interrail pass costs about £180 for two weeks, meaning you get 5-days of travelling included, but you can go for a longer duration depending on your preference. You then have to work out your route around Europe and go from there.

However, before buying the ticket Interrail doesn’t seem to mention the extra cost of ‘reserve’ seats, which you have to do for most trains unless they are at very awkward, quiet times. If you don’t reserve seats you risk standing up for 4+ hours. Also, if you leave booking your reservations till last minute there could just be sleepers left, which cost about £30 per person.

Interrail makes out that night trains will save you money on accommodation, when in fact you get no sleep or pay over the odds, when one night in a hostel can cost £10.

2. It is Exhausting

Depending on what you do when interrailing, which is likely to be walking around major cities, it is a tiring experience. If you dislike sightseeing, grabbing busy transport links and sleeping near other people – interrailing probably isn’t right for you. If you sleep on the trains you will get little sleep (as well as if you have nights out too).

3. There can be Issues with Trains

If you plan to get multiple changeovers try to only get a couple rather than lots, because missing just one train can cause a ripple effect on the rest of your journey. A lot of the trains to different countries aren’t just one straight train – so make sure you plan this out accurately.

Also, if you are making changeovers make sure to give yourself at least an hour I would say.

However, even if you miss your train it can be resolved – don’t panic. You simply go to an information desk who send you to the ticket office, where you can explain about any train delays and they simply get you on the next train.

4. Make Sure to Travel with Someone You Know You’ll Get on with

Sometimes this can be difficult to decide. Often people go interrailing in a group, but it can be easier to book everything and do what you want to do as a pair – less arguments and decision making. Although, before leaving for your trip ensure you have similar interests to the person you’re going with, even if they’re your best friend or someone you’ve known for a long time.

Do they like walking far and sightseeing? Will they hate hostels and ditch the trip at the first country? Will they be a nightmare on nights out or do they hate going out? Make sure to go with someone reliable, who wants to do the same things as you.

5. Make a Travel Plan

This should include all of your trains and changeovers with their numbers, times and destinations and be sure to download the Interrail app and take SCREENSHOTS of these times or print them off, as signal can be funny on the trains.

As well as this, try meeting up with your travel partners beforehand to plan what you want to see or do when in particular countries. Maybe write down all of the main sights to see in the cities and try splitting them up on the days you are there. Also, be sure to check the weather the day before – if it is expected to rain one day make this your museum day, instead of sightseeing.

5. It’s One of the Best Experiences

Even though you can encounter some travel problems, once arriving at your destination and you’ve got your head around the transport system – it’s amazing. It’s great to experience various European foods and drinks that you might not get to try in the UK, you meet fantastic quirky people, can share it all with your travel partner, change your perspective on the world and see breath-taking landmarks, wildlife and views.

6. What You Pack is Vital

There are some essentials I’d advise bringing with you that some websites don’t suggest:

• A portable charger for walking around the cities and some trains don’t have charger ports.

• A USB Travel Adaptor came in very handy, especially when some hostels and trains lacked sockets.

• A Backpack for during the day is absolutely essential to carry round your money, phone and water when exploring.

• Travel Wash is very handy because some hostels don’t provide laundry facilities or you simply don’t have time or forget to use them.

• Quick Refreshing Toiletries come in very handy when you’re on the trains, such as wipes, deodorant, toothbrush and toothpaste.

• A small First-Aid Kit means saving money on buying simple, light-weighted items like plasters, paracetamol, travel sickness tablets, heart burn tablets and soothers.

• A padlock and key which you can use in hostels, because some of the lockers don’t have locks.

• Your Student ID is so important because you can often get into most attractions cheaper, sometimes half the price of an adult ticket.

7. Hostels Aren’t as Bad as Everyone Makes Out

Try to get one with a kitchen so you can save money doing a little bit of cooking and can store food in the fridge (label it!) and one out of the city centre (that has accessible transport). Don’t worry about mixed gender hostels either – everyone is in the same boat and (mostly) very nice.

Be sure to know what time your checkout times are, otherwise you can be charged if you don’t check out on time! Be sure to read reviews, facilities and other details before booking!

8. Research Luggage Storage

So you’ve got your oversized backpack all sorted out, you feel like a real adventurer. But it’s impossible to carry this around every city. Make sure the hostels you stay in provide luggage storage and if you cannot check in till a certain time and don’t want to carry your bag, check out train stations that usually do cheap storage too.

9. All of the Food is Amazing

From crepes to snails, duck to pretzels and sausage to chimney cake – all of the food we experienced throughout Europe was brilliant. I’d advise buying some foods from supermarkets, such as your breakfast and some lunches. Many hostels also have kitchens to cook food in, but we only really made use of them twice – it’s a total money saver!

10. You Won’t Want it to End

No matter how tiring or stressful, when it gets to the day you’re going home you definitely won’t want to. It’s an escape from reality, gives you a chance to explore new cultures and places and stop worrying about your job or university or anything going on back home. So, if you do decide to go interrailing, plan it well and go with someone you enjoy spending company with, then you’ll have the best time!

Caitlin Biwer

Lancaster '20

.
Anna Mather

Lancaster '19

Anna is a final year student of French & Linguistics at Lancaster University and will graduate in 2019. She is one of Lancaster's Chapter Correspondents. Her favourite topics to write about are fashion, style and interior design ideas. She loves to share photos on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/ku_layrosas/ She also runs Kulayrosas, her own fashion, faith and lifestyle blog: https://kulayrosas.com/