The Essential Student Cooking Appliance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

One of the biggest parts about life as a student is learning to live, and importantly, cook for yourself! An extremely underrated piece of cooking equipment has to be the slow cooker.

(image from Morphy Richards)

It’s nearly the end of term and when you don’t feel like spending time stood stirring away at the hob, there’s no other solution. There’s nothing better than walking into the kitchen after a day at uni to smell what has been bubbling away, all ready and requiring little effort.

(Image from Crème de la Crumb)

Yes, you may need to be more organised to decide what you are having for tea earlier in the day and preparing the ingredients to put them into the slow cooker, but it still saves significant time altogether.

Slow cookers provide extremely diverse meals- from curries, to soups to even simmering mulled wine on a cold winter’s day, there are endless possibilities of what to make.

(Image from Mountain Mama Cooks)

You won’t want to go back to your typical student ovens which take half an hour to heat up, or the hob which seems to take about ten minutes for a pan of hot water to boil.

The slow cooker is a student essential.

(Image from Everyday Good Thinking)

Helen Jordan

Lancaster '19

Helen is a third year English Language student and will graduate in 2019. Her favourite topics to write about include cooking and tips for uni life. This is Helen's second year writing for Her Campus and she is looking forward to her role as Chapter Correspondent for Lancaster in the 2018/2019 academic year.