To Embrace Or Not To Embrace The Christmas Frenzy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Does Christmas come too early or should we embrace the festive frenzy? Every year, it seems that the excitement for the festive season begins even earlier; we’re barely saying goodbye to September before the Christmas cards are appearing in shop windows and email promotions about the ‘ideal’ Christmas present ideas flood our inboxes.

(Image from Giant)

Even before Halloween has been and gone, the Christmas talk begins, whether it’s about the best time to start your present shopping or whether to have turkey or something different for dinner this year.

(Image from Christmas photocards)

In November Christmas songs can be heard, Christmas lights are switched on and the retail industry turns into chaos. Leisurely shopping becomes impossible as everyone is out in the masses, determined to get everything prepared as early as possible.

(Image from Liverpool Echo)

Much as it makes sense to be organized, and there’s nothing more uplifting than getting into the festive spirit, I can’t help but wonder what the purpose of wishing the year away for it to December 25th really is.

(Image from Etchey)

Nevertheless, regardless of your opinion, I can guarantee many of us will attend the grand Christmas light switch on and happily Instagram the new Costa Christmas cups.

The festivities have commenced, whether we like it or not!

Helen Jordan

Lancaster '19

Helen is a third year English Language student and will graduate in 2019. Her favourite topics to write about include cooking and tips for uni life. This is Helen's second year writing for Her Campus and she is looking forward to her role as Chapter Correspondent for Lancaster in the 2018/2019 academic year.