Eat, Sleep, Dance. Repeat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Dance is not just a hobby or a passion, it’s an art. For some, it is the way of life.  For a dancer to lace up those nikies, turn up the music and get the body dancing – nothings else matters.

There are those who dance and those who don’t, but both may not know one interesting fact. When a person dances, it starts up several brain functions simultaneously such as the rational, emotional and the musical. Beautiful dance also involves complex coordination and an intense workout.  But this type of workout could definitely be more joyful than the casual fitness routine, however no one called them off!

It is believed that those who grow up dancing are healthier, happier and more energetic. There are thousands of reasons why dancing is good for your health. There are so many different styles of dances with different directions and their own uniqueness. Dancing is an activity that anyone can do, you just need to find the style that fits you and most importantly, enjoy the process. For those who think they cannot dance and never ever tried to, you are, seriously, missing out in life!  One tip- dancing is more about how you feel, rather than how you look. “You look ridiculous if you dance. You look ridiculous if you don’t dance. So you might as well

dance.” – Gertrude Stein. You got it right? For a better result, try not to look at the mirror at all to start out, almost like being in the club when it’s so dark but you are moving to the music. This is how you express yourself, connect to the music and feel the rhythm. Now combine this expression with a certain style of dance and imagine what can come out at the end.  “Dance is the hidden language of the soul”- don’t you agree? Aren’t you curious enough to discover more about yourself?

No one can feel what a dancers feel, it is indescribable and only understandable when being in their shoes. It can be just one person dancing or can be partners dancing in styles such as the tango, salsa, bachata etc. Or it could be even a group of people that can tell a whole story through dance. Even if you are about to start, don’t feel sad about not being as good as you wish for a particular style. As it’s only developed practice. I attended dance school since I was 7 years old, and what I danced mainly involved national dancing, ballet and others. As years passed I my preference completely changed. I enjoy hip-hop style, street dancing and began trying this style due to my interest in the popular dancers and their techniques. This isn’t the only style that I am interested in and about to try, but I recommend it to you. Just start, joining a Hip Hop Society is a great way to do it! It’s a squad of amazing people who come from all different backgrounds and study different subject at uni. The one thing that combines them is their love for a dance. There are also many other great societies on campus you need to check out and get more out of university and have fun!

England | Multilingual marketing student at Lancaster University | LUMS ambassador |  Content writer |