bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

All You Need To Know About Fitness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

“An apple a day keeps the doctor away”. That’s true but a good workout also does the job! Exercising is the most effective cure for all diseases; whether it be a cold, the flu or you’ve just got the winter blues. Head over to the gym for an instant pick me up and no, the multiple storms and 1,274mph winds are not an excuse!

Although if you really can’t face the wrath of the Lancaster weather then bring your workout to your room. I guess it’s not the best place to show off your new Victoria Secret’s gym outfit (have you seen their new Knockout range?!), but your body will thank you for it later. 

If you haven’t got your hands on some high quality workout gear then you really should! For me, wearing matching pants and sports bra is the best motivator for me to head on over to the gym (is that weird?) If you’re struggling to motivate yourself to workout then I’d really recommend splashing the cash on some new kit, or just add it to your Christmas wish list and cross your fingers! Try Nike or Victoria Secret for the best quality gym wear!

Let’s move on to some key points about being fit, strong and healthy.

Drink water! And once you think you’ve drunk enough, you haven’t. If  you are bored in that 5-6pm Monday lecture then drink water, if you’re walking around campus then drink water, if you’re waiting in the queue at Spar on campus (why is it always so long?!) then drink up. Everywhere you go and any time you’re going you should be carrying a bottle of water. Water helps balance body fluids and also cures hunger pangs. Have you tried infusing your bottle of water with vegetables, fruits and berries? This can change it up but still ensure you’re drinking enough water to remain healthy. If Khloe Kardashian does it, we do right?! Water is a life and body saver, don’t forget that.

So what exercises should you actually be doing? Well firstly, before excercing make sure to stretch it out to avoid tension and injury. Making that grimacing face whilst tying to sit down on the toilet the next day is grim let’s be honest!

Take inspiration from blogs and articles which showcase a variety of workout routines. Make sure to pick the one which places emphasise on the part of your body you want to improve and stick to it, results aren’t achieved overnight! Personally, I’d recommend the blogilates blog. I’ve tried it and it really does work, a bonus is that it doesn’t make me wish I’d rather be sitting my Geography A level again right now instead of working out (this tends to be the case with most exercise I try).

On the blogilates website there are calendar workouts for each month which is so motivating! They change it up regularly so you won’t get bored, this means I spend more time thinking about how to do the moves which in turn means I’ve forgotten I’m even working out at all! Print out the calendar and slap it on your wall (make sure to white tack it so you don’t leave stains on the wall- avoid that ridiculous fee that uni insists upon) and check off each section when you have finished it. This is bound to keep you motivated, now go get healthy! 

England | Multilingual marketing student at Lancaster University | LUMS ambassador |  Content writer |    
English Language and Linguistics student at Lancaster University, with a passion for all things magazine- be it beauty, fashion, lifestyle, career, reviews! Co-Editor for HerCampus Lancaster. Check out my instagram: conniemaitland