stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 9Bar: Solar Power Your Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

As students, we’re always looking for healthy ways to keep us going throughout the day whether that’s with carrot sticks, peanuts (unsalted, of course) or crisps. Ok, so that last one isn’t really a healthy option but there’s no point in denying that we eat them anyway. But sometimes the above just doesn’t give you the energy you need or much of a taste sensation, so I bring to you 9Bar energy bars, which harness the power of seeds to keep you growing.

(image from 9bar.com)

All the ingredients of 9Bars are natural and you can be sure that all the calories you’re taking in are of nutritional value unlike that crisp sandwich you packed yourself for lunch. They’re both vegan and gluten free and state it plainly on their packaging so you don’t need to go through the ingredients list with a fine-tooth comb. They’re handmade in Wales too, so you know you’re getting something authentic rather than churned out by a machine, and you can feel good in supporting a local(ish) business.

(image from 9bar.com)

But the health benefits of 9Bars aren’t the only thing that makes them worth buying. You might be wondering what exactly their slogan ‘Good Energy, Twice’ is referring to and I can tell you it’s not a special buy one get one free offer. A 9Bar not only gives you energy, but also provides sustainable solar powered lights to families in Africa. On their packaging the company states: ‘Every 9Bar we sell = A night of light for a child in Africa.’ One of the reasons these solar powered lights are so important is because people’s only alternative are usually kerosene lamps, which are not only dangerous to use but also pollute the atmosphere.

(image from 9bar.com)

You can find out more information about the work 9Bar do with SolarAid on their website www.9bar.com. There’s even the option to subscribe to regular deliveries, but if you just want to try one out before committing, you can find them in most supermarkets. Alternatively, they were recently included in the penny sale at Holland and Barrett so keep a look out to get the best deal.

So if you’re looking to combine clean eating with clean energy, 9Bar could be a great way for you to do just that.

Student at Lancaster University studying English Language and Literature