The 5 Most Beloved Candidates on “The Great British Bake Off”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

It’s been almost a decade since candidates on the hit TV series “The Great British Bake Off” began to wow us with some fantastic amateur bakes, but it’s not just about the cakes and biscuits. Throughout recent seasons, the contestants on the show have charmed viewers with their joy at receiving the weekly honour of “Star Baker” or their tears at the state of a gateau. So why not go back and remind ourselves of some of Bake Off’s most endearing characters from the past few seasons.

Henry Bird – Season 10

I (and seemingly most of this year’s Bake Off viewers) have a lot of respect for anyone who can wear a shirt and tie every week even in the height of summer. But, it was the iconic moment when Henry received the renowned Hollywood handshake and responded by telling Paul to “shut up” in disbelief that confirmed his place as possibly one of the most endearing candidates that the show has ever had!

Rahul Mandal – Season 9

He may not have been one of the big personalities in last years’ tent, but it was his shy nature that won over Bake Off fans. From week one, the only person who didn’t seem to realise that his baking was AMAZING was himself, and he never looked like he could believe the positive comments he so often received from the judges.

Liam Charles – Season 8

Liam had a few moments early on where he seemed to be worried about being sent home from the 2017 tent… before receiving a Hollywood handshake in week 4 for his unique Tetris-themed shortbread. This, and him constantly looking either confused or terrified, is why he’s on this list!

Selasi Gbormittah – Season 7

Whilst we’re used to the sight of the bakers stressing out in front of ovens, or trying to hold it together during weeks when nothing seems to work, this never appeared to be the case with Selasi in 2016. From almost being crowned Star Baker in Week One of the show, to making it all the way to the semi-final, Selasi stood out for being possibly one of the most chilled out contestants in Bake Off history.

Nadiya Hussain – Season 6

Although she didn’t necessarily stand out straight away, by the time she took the win in 2015, Nadiya was a firm fan-favourite. Not only that, but her array of facial expressions and bubbly personality has meant that she’s since gone on to be one of the most well-known Bake Off winners ever, working on multiple BBC shows, including her own cookery show!

So, there you have it, and as another series of Bake Off comes to a close this week, I think it’s fair to say that the show is just as much about the people as it is about great baking!

Lucy Whalen

Lancaster '23

First year English literature and French student because am too indecisive to study one subject! Loves reading, running and singing!!
Currently a 3rd (and final!) year English Literature and Creative Writing student at Lancaster University.