This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

As Christmas comes closer, so do deadlines. Boo. It’s very easy to get caught up with all these deadlines and suddenly it’s 3 days before Christmas and you’re frantically shopping online for last minute presents, paying a fortune for express delivery, stuffing your face with your favourite Christmas chocolate and the most festive thing you’ve done is scroll through your Instagram feed and ‘liked’ all your friends super fun and festive snaps of their holiday festivities. Why should you miss all the fun?

So have some time to yourself and plan some quality time with friends and family this year. Here’s some inspiration…

1. Visit a Christmas market

Is there anything more festive than wandering round a Christmas market wrapped up in numerous layers, Christmas lights everywhere, Christmas music ringing in your ears and so many wonderful smells tempting you to eat the most delicious food? Possibly the best way to spread festive cheer!

(Image: pinterest.com)

2. Go ice skating

Get your friends together and visit an outdoor ice rink: there’s so many around this time of year. Even if you’re left hanging onto the sides in fear of your life, there is usually some hot chocolate/mulled wine available. (How can you decline that?!)

(Image: pinterest.com)

3. Decorate your home/room

Whether your house is a themed magical palace with perfectly placed and colour-coordinated bows, tinsel and baubles or a magic mayhem of colourful family favourites, the decorating is an essential part of Christmas prep not to be missed!

(Image: pinterest.com)

4. Baking

Christmas is a time for eating delicious food and making memories with family and friends. If you’re feeling fancy, take to Pinterest for some inspiration. Gingerbread men are always a real winner for everyone and so much fun to decorate. You could even buy a gingerbread house set that’s pre-made (do these ever actually stick together??)(Image: evermine.com)

5. Host a movie night

So you’ve decked the halls and made copious amounts of chocolatey and iced sweet treats, what better thing to do than invite your friends round to appreciate your efforts and feel festive together? Add fluffy blankets and creamy hot chocolate and your set for an evening of Christmassy films. (I personally highly recommend Love Actually).

(Image: princesspinkygirl.com)

6. Go on a wintery walk

This one’s even better if it’s snowy because snow makes everything so unbelievably pretty and magical. But whatever the weather decided, you can still look cute in your boots, coats, hats and scarves. Consider walking in a wooded area for the feel of pine trees (this would be the perfect Instagram opportunity!)

(Image: flickr.com)

7. Go to a carol service

There’s so many of these throughout December, you can’t really miss them. And no, you don’t have to go to church every week to go to a carol service. You WILL know at least some of the carols and it will get you involved and feeling Christmassy.

(Image: 500px.com)

8. Wrapping gifts

It may involve a little more preparation but if your one of those people who have bought all their gifts pretty much the same time as the advent calendar doors are still in single figures then this is for you. There’s SO much choice of paper, ribbons, tags and bows to make everyone’s present look picture perfect and oh-so-lovely. Spend an afternoon really enjoying wrapping everyone’s gift. (Particularly fun with Christmas songs on for your own personal karaoke.)

(Image: lovecreatecelebrate.com)

9. Host a Christmas party/dinner party (or go to one)

You know you want to. What’s not to love about getting all dressed up and feeling all fancy, especially at this time of year where its all about making memories and having fun with your friends. And remember… take lots of photos!

(Image: diy.about.com)

10. Visit Santa and his reindeer

If you have a younger child I your family this is especially cute and a great way to feel that special Christmas magic and feel like child again. Lots of Christmas events have the chance to see Santa and some real-life reindeer that proves magic for both children and adult alike. (Who says Christmas is only for children??!) Just hope you’re on his nice list…

(Image: pinmig.com)

Have a very merry Christmas everyone!

First year Advertising and and marketing student living in Lancaster, UK Lover of doughnuts, autumn and shopping!!