This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

Lafayette has eight great (some not so great) dining options. However, Gilbert’s will always hold a special place in my heart. I discovered Gilbert’s during my first weekend here and my life has not been the same since. Over this semester I have found many different reasons to love Gilbert’s. Let me share some with you.

Firstly, Gilbert’s has a prime location. It is perfectly nestled inside Kirby House. Needless to say, I am jealous of the guys who get to live directly above Gilbert’s. Gilbert’s is also the first dining option on the way back from the gym so it is the perfect place to grab a bite after you finish a hard workout or practice. While Gilbert’s is on the opposite side of campus from most dorms, it is a nice walk to burn some calories before eating their delicious food. 

The vibe of Gilbert’s is really what has made it my favorite dining location. Not only does the coffee shop feel make it homier than the other dining option, but the set up is incredibly versatile. Often around 12-1 Gilbert’s is very busy and the line is out the door. However, if you go outside of peak hour Gilbert’s is the perfect place to crack down on your work as you grab a bite to eat. I must admit I have spent upwards of three to four hours grinding out homework in Gilbert’s multiple times. There are also comfy chairs that are the perfect place for a meeting or to chat with friends.

The employees are really what makes Gilbert’s stand out. Maybe it is just because I go so often, but they are always happy and love to chat as they take your order. Even during peak hours, they are kind to every student that comes in. 

Lastly, I cannot write an article about Gilbert’s without mentioning the food. Nothing I have tried, and I have tried everything, has disappointed me. Gilbert’s is the perfect combination of comfort food without all the grease of Lower. I have heard that the menu changes each semester and I am looking forward to the new masterpieces that will be added to the menu.

Overall I would highly recommend Gilbert’s to anyone who is visiting Lafayette. It’s the perfect option for when guests come to visit and you do not want to feed them typical dining hall food, but you are broke and cannot afford to take them out to eat.