This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

With finals around the corner, here is a list of simple tasks you can attempt to help you feel more motivated and less overwhelmed. All of these tasks work for me but may not work for everyone. However, they are all still worth a try! 

1. Make a to-do list 

When I am feeling unmotivated, I tend to feel overwhelmed by all of the things I have to do. Although I feel overwhelmed, there is nothing I can do to help my current state since I am not motivated to do work. However, writing down a to-do list always makes me feel more organized, relaxed, and motivated! 

2. Start with the smaller tasks 

After I write the list, I tend to start with the small, easy tasks on the list. The simple act of checking off a box on a todo list gives you so much satisfaction. After doing one task, you feel more accomplished and motivated. Also, once I start to finish all of the smaller tasks, my to-do list gets shorter which can make you feel a lot less stressed or overwhelmed. 

3. Take a break 

Believe it or not, but another activity that helps you feel more motivated and less overwhelmed is taking a break. Taking a break from your work can put you in a calm, peaceful mindset which will make you feel less overwhelmed. When I take a break, some things I usually do are taking a shower, going on a walk, tidying up my room, etc. These tasks can be short or long, however, make sure you are relaxed once you return back to your work.  

4. Journaling

Sometimes when I am feeling stressed and unmotivated, writing down my thoughts, feelings, and worries helps me feel better. Keeping a journal by your bedside can help improve your mental state! Once I start to write down how I feel, I usually feel more calm and ready to start tackling my work. 

5. Essential Oils

Lastly, another thing I do to calm myself down is sniffing my lavender essential oil. I have been on the verge of a breakdown and tears, but after sniffing lavender, I have felt much better. Lavender is known to promote relaxation and is believed to help anxiety, depression, and many other challenges. With this in mind, the lavender calms you down and from there, you can start to work on feeling more motivated. 

Sophia Graham

Lafayette '23

Hey! I’m a junior at Lafayette College and am majoring in Anthropology and Sociology, and minoring in Organizational Studies. During my free time, I love to read, watch Netflix (my favorite show at the moment is Euphoria), and take photos!
Layla Ennis

Lafayette '23

Junior at Lafayette College