This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

When I was growing up and even into high school, my mom let me tap, take a mental health day anytime I wanted and miss a day (or two) of school. Maybe I was being bullied, wanted to miss something in gym class or just plain didn’t have the mental health to function. Whatever the reason, it was always valid in my house. I think we need to carry that over to college.

We do so much here, so much more than just go to one or two classes per day. We’re in several clubs, are doing so much to maintain our classes, seeing friends, going to events, going on trips, submitting job applications and that is just to name a few! At this point in the semester, I think we are all a little burnt out and exhausted so if you need a mental health day, by all means, please take one to recharge, reset and feel better the rest of the time after.

If you need a little inspiration for college mental health day activities, here are just a few:

1. Drink tea/hot chocolate and binge a show on Netflix
  2. Take a hot shower and change pajamas, but no real clothes whatsoever
  3. Call friends from home or high school or family members that you always say you will but never get the chance to
  4. Sit in Lower and people watch
  5. Get a croissant breakfast sandwich in Gilberts and just listen to music
  6. Lay in bed and don’t worry about a thing
  7. Be there for yourself
  8. Go to a therapy appointment
  9. Meditate
  10. Sing and throw yourself a dance party (even if it’s a lowkey one on the quad)

Whatever you do, make sure it’s something just for you, that heals you and all the stresses you’re going through, that you do absolutely no work (or as little as possible) and go back the next day feeling way better than when you left.

Lisa Green

Lafayette '24

Hi, I'm Lisa and I'm a freshman at Lafayette. I'm interested in theater, politics, cooking and more!