Summer Girl Hawaii Yoga Hiking Exercise View
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Wellness > Health

Staying Healthy: Quarantine Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

Three weeks into quarantine and I think we are all trying to find ways to stay sane at this point (I know I am). With this pandemic going around, and all of us living all over the world, I wanted to take a moment to list some key ways that we can stay healthy that involve more than just washing your hands. 

1. Drink Plenty of water!! Drinking 64 ounces of water a day has so many benefits, it’s truly amazing. From improving energy levels and immunity to boosting physical performance, improving brain function and preventing headaches, clearing toxins, promoting weight loss, aiding in clearing skin, improving kidney function, and promoting breathing, drinking more water in a day can help your body stay healthy when our routines have changed so dramatically. And all y’all crazy people have been stocking up on bottled water so don’t tell me this one’s hard… Tip: room temperature water can aid in digestion, relieving headaches and congestion, and can boost metabolism.

2. Get 7-8 hours of sleep every night: I mean, we are all stuck self quarantined at home now, so why not sleep a little longer…I’m a huge advocate for getting a good night rest. Sleep is our body’s way of overall recovery and can aid in improving memory, reducing stress levels, strengthening the immune system, increasing energy levels, improving mood, and improving focus. Sleep is one of the simplest ways to stay healthy during this quarantine, as long as we don’t sleep too much, and the body will begin to see some negative side effects. 

3. Stay Active: when the gyms closed, I may have shed a couple tears…it was a very sad day for me. However, this doesn’t limit the possibilities we still have to stay active during quarantine! Staying active, like when we aren’t quarantined, has major benefits to our body. At least 30 minutes of activity a day can reduce your risk of heart attack, help you to manage weight better, aid in lowering cholesterol levels, lower the risk of type 2 diabetes and some cancers, strengthen your bones, muscles and joints, can increase your energy, improve your mood, and improve sleep. Many of these benefits are long term but there is no better time to take care of your health than now. Staying Active on quarantine can look like going for a run in your neighborhood, going on hikes in your city, and at home workouts (you don’t need a gym, many people on Instagram and Facebook have been posting countless at home workouts to help you stay active in easy ways!) All you need is the motivation to get up and start moving and your body will thank you!

It’s so important to protect our immune system year round, and especially now. We can still do that while quarantined. Drinking water, getting the right amount of sleep, and staying active all have major roles in our overall health and state of mind. Take care of your body, and it will take care of you!

Stay happy, healthy and safe! 

Alexa Cooke

Lafayette '21

Lafayette College '21 NCAA Women's Tennis
Layla Ennis

Lafayette '23

Junior at Lafayette College