This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

It can be easy to let each day monotonously slip into the next, but finding ways to be creative can really boost your mood. Here are a few fun activities that have allowed me to express my artistic side during these past few months! 

Follow a Bob Ross Tutorial

His show was called “The Joy of Painting” for a reason – the man exudes positive energy. By simply searching “Bob Ross Tutorial” on YouTube, you can find dozens of videos of him explaining his paintings step by step. I first followed one of his tutorials back in April and made my own little masterpiece within minutes! Don’t have a fancy canvas and acrylic paint? Don’t worry! Try craypas or colored pencils. I found craypas to be perfect for blending.

Cook a recipe with your friends on zoom

Find a fun recipe to make with your friends remotely. You can either follow the same recipe or one of you can channel your inner Rachel Ray and lead the recipe while the others follow. My friend and I baked chocolate chip cookies together and it was super fun. Plus, in the end, I got all the cookies to myself because I didn’t have to share!

Become a penpal 

Explore your inner writer by sharing about your day, asking questions, and brain dumping random thoughts for your penpal to read. Personally, I love getting letters in the mail. It’s like getting a little present specialized just for you delivered to your doorstep! My friend and I have been writing letters across the country to each other since the spring and it was so much more special than just sending texts. I had a ton of fun receiving her cards and designing cards to send back.

Create a shared playlist with your friends on Spotify

Put songs on a shared playlist for you and all your friends to listen to. I often get stuck listening to the same 5 songs on repeat until I get sick of them, so this really helped me widen my music taste. My friends and I all have very different tastes in music, so our playlists ended up being super diverse and fun to shuffle through. We also decided to choose a theme for each playlist – my favorites were “Rainy Day” and “Sunset Drive.”

While these are not all of the activities I have done, they are definitely some of my favorites and I hope you enjoy them too! 

I am a sophomore Psychology and Theater major from Acton, MA.
Layla Ennis

Lafayette '23

Junior at Lafayette College