bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

It’s that time of year. November. It’s suddenly freezing and all that work that you’ve been putting off for months is crashing down as finals are quickly approaching. This is also the time where the library is more populated than College Hill Tavern as people are stressing and studying late into the night. While this is the classic college stereotype, it can also be dangerous. It is important for people to mind themselves so that they don’t get the plague (aka the common cold, strep, etc.). I’m here to help you with eight tips to feel great and avoid the plague!

1. Get sleep

I know this seems laughable when you have labs and two exams and a paper all due on a Thursday but it is imperative! You cannot study if you have not slept, instead, you’ll probably fall asleep studying. It’s really not a cute look seeing the person next to you in the library drooling onto their books. Try and make a to-do list each night, and set a bedtime. This also negatively affects your skin which will make you feel even worse. 

2. Constantly wash your hands and carry disinfectant 

Most people do wash their hands after they tinkle but there are always those few… Even if everyone does wash their hands, germs are always flying around at the moment. I know that everywhere I go people are either hacking out a lung or blowing a foghorn in the back of the classroom so be prepared! Carry disinfectant with you and remember to clean your electronics!

3. Try and eat healthily

In the cold, it is far too easy to warm up with a hot chocolate or get through studying by bringing excessive snacks. However, these sugars are not helpful for your long-term health. They may give you an instant burst of energy but it diminishes quite quickly and you “crash”. It is much better to eat brain foods such as vegetables and fish in order to focus for an extended period of time like during finals week. Then, you truly can grind it all out instead of hitting a slump mid-reading.

4. Do laundry

Make time for laundry. As I’ve said, everyone is sick. Even if they don’t say it, they’re sick. Germs are everywhere, especially on your pants or backpacks. Try and clean your sheets (and your comforter!) regularly to diminish these potential disasters. 

5. Be careful with sharing cups

Sharing cups can seem like such a great idea and convenient in the spur of the moment but it truly is NOT worth it. Mono is definitely the worst-case scenario but there are many germs going around in cup sharing. Instead, use a reusable water bottle during the day and hold onto your own cup at other times. 

6. Drink tea instead of coffee

I know its hard because everyone is exhausted and pulling late-nighters on papers on exams but caffeine is not always your friend. It can cause people to be jittery and have energy crashes, plus if you become overly reliant, you can start to experience headaches. Instead, try and turn to tea! It provides antioxidants against illnesses and has less caffeine which leads to more stable energy swings, plus it’s pretty for your body. Tea also hydrates the body making it great for cold weather!

7. Exercise 

Go to the gym. While this is definitely a de-stressor, it also helps aid concentration. Furthermore, it helps people sleep better so even if you’re skimping a bit, it will still be better quality. Also, if you are eating a lot of junk due to stress, exercise diminishes these effects. All around, it helps every aspect of your life and it helps you feel great after! If you’re at the gym, you can also hit the sauna to clear your sinuses and it will warm you straight up. Don’t forget to disinfect the machines both before and after your workout. This is a safe way to make sure that the gym is a healthy place for everyone. 

8. Don’t share makeup

This last one is mainly for the girls out there. Do not share makeup. If someone asks you to help with part of their look, use their supplies and resist offering yours. This is because makeup goes right onto the face and any germs will translate immediately into acne or even something as scary as pink eye. Just be careful because the last thing you need at the moment is a breakout!

It may be a hard time to stay healthy and positive but it is possible, you just have to set your mind to it. By being careful and conscious, you can avoid the plague! Every little action counts and simple acts can go a long way to keep you healthy. 

Ciara O'Connor

Lafayette '22

***
Huge bagels and Soundcloud enthusiast.